Sweet risotto is similar to traditional rice pudding. This beet chocolate risotto is warming, comforting and delicious. It sounds crazy, but tastes incredible.
Let's blur the lines between rice pudding and risotto, shall we?
Let's stir the pot of glutenous rice, not with wine and stock, but with hot vanilla-infused coconut milk.
We shall ladle and stir, ladle and stir until the grains of risotto rice are so swollen, squidgy and plump with the sweet liquid that they can't possibly take any more.
Then stir in some gloriously vibrant pureed beetroot because, well, we need some vegetables in our desserts.
Drizzle it with melted chocolate and tuck in with a delicate spoon. It's a rich, sweet, decadent vegan vegetable dessert.
This is comfort food au moderne, people.
If you can't tell by the name of this blog, I love coming up with vegetable dessert recipes.
They make cakes and bakes a bit healthier and are a fun hidden veg surprise.
If you're looking at this beet chocolate risotto recipe, then you must be opened minded to adding veggies to sweet treats. I hope you find plenty on this site to pique your interest (and taste buds!)
Don't let your vegetables go to waste! If you have more beetroot to use up, try one of these recipes:
get the beet chocolate risotto recipe
Did you make this sweet risotto recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Beet Chocolate Risotto
- 1 1/2 cups (250g about 3 beets) cooked beetroot
- 14 fl oz (400ml) can of coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (200g) risotto rice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1.75 oz (50g) dark chocolate
- Puree the cooked beets until smooth and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the coconut milk with 1 cup of water, sugar and vanilla. When hot, turn off the heat but keep on the stove.
- In a large saucepan, heat the rice and coconut oil for a few minutes, stirring to coat evenly. When hot, add a ladle of water and stir until absorbed. Add a ladle of the coconut milk and stir constantly until absorbed. Continue adding ladles of coconut milk, ensuring each one is fully absorbed before adding the next one. It should take about 25 minutes. Stir in the pureed beetroot and heat.
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the beet risotto. Serve immediately.