These carrot and courgette stained glass window biscuits are easy to make – plus they’re full of tasty veggies!
Well it’s Biscuit Week on the Great British Bake Off, so it’s time to start baking in anticipation of Mel and Sue’s double entendres.
But I can’t just bake biscuits. My biscuits need vegetables. With a carrot and a courgette (zucchini) lingering in the fridge, I whipped up these easy stained glass window biscuits. They are so simple, I think I’ll have the kids bake some for the tree this Christmas. I know it’s only just starting to get cold, but I had to turn the heating on for the first time this year, so I’m starting to have those first few Xmas thoughts…
Anyway, here’s the recipe for Carrot and Courgette Stained Glass Window Biscuits! It’s a tasty way to get some veg in you…
- 100 g 1 cup carrot
- 50 g 1/2 cup courgette (zucchini)
- 225 g 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125 g 1 cup powdered icing sugar
- 2 eggs yolks only
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300 g 3 cups plain flour
- 6-8 coloured boiled sweets
- Peel and grate the carrot. Grate the unpeeled courgette. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the carrot, courgette and flour and mix until it forms a soft dough.
- Chill the dough, wrapped in clingfilm, in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 5mm thick. Cut out with cutters and re-roll and cut any excess.
- Cut a small hole in the middle of each biscuit (I used a screwcap wine bottle lid!).
- Put the boiled sweets (still in their wrappers) in a bag and hit with a rolling pin to break them into small pieces.
- Put the biscuits onto the baking tray and fill the holes with sweet pieces.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until beginning to turn golden.
- Allow to cool completely on the tray. If you wish to make decorations, use a straw to cut ribbon holes while the biscuits are still warm on the tray.
- When the biscuits, and the sweetie middles, are completely cool, remove from the tray.