There's chard in this decadent Dark Chocolate Chard Torte! The leafy green adds extra goodness in this rich and deeply chocolatey cake. A great vegetable dessert.
This sinfully rich dark chocolate chard torte has a rich, velvety interior.
It contains great big handfuls of colourful Swiss chard leaves, but all that leafy goodness can't actually be tasted!
A little goes a long way in this decadent cake so be sure to share. It's rich and delicious.
The chard makes it a really moist torte and leaves (pun intended) behind a little leafy green goodness.
This is a delicious vegetable cake that has veg, but also loads of decadent chocolate. Bliss.
There's something absolutely wonderful about a rich cake. This one has ground almonds (almond meal) to give it a wonderful texture to complement the dark chocolate.
A few fresh berries work beautifully to cut through that chocolatey richness.
vegetable cake recipes
I've been obsessed with adding vegetables to desserts for years.
I just love how adding grated root vegetables or pureed leafy greens adds so much to cakes and desserts.
They often add an incredible natural colour, moistness and sweetness. And also some extra nutrients to treats!
I hope you love this dark chocolate chard torte. Be sure to also try these other vegetable desserts:
get the dark chocolate chard torte recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Dark Chocolate Chard Torte
- 2 cups (100g) chard (cups firmly packed chard), leaves and small stalks
- 7.5 oz (200g) dark chocolate
- ¾ cup (175g) butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- ⅓ cup (50g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 cup (85g) ground almonds / almond meal
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the topping:
- 4 oz (100g) dark chocolate
- ½ cup (100ml) heavy cream (double cream)
- Preheat oven to 350F / 180C. Grease a 23cm/9” springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Simmer the chard for a few minutes until tender, then drain, squeeze out excess water and puree. Set aside.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it with the butter bowl over a pan of boiling water. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, use an electric whisk to beat the eggs and sugar until thick – about five minutes.
- Stir the chard into the chocolate mixture. Pour the chocolate into the whisked egg and sugar and gently fold it in with a large metal spoon.
- Stir the flour, ground almonds, coffee and salt together, then pour it into the chocolate egg mixture and use the large metal spoon to gently fold it in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and cook for 40 minutes or until set.
- Allow to cool in the tin before releasing and cover with the chocolate topping. .
For the topping:
- Melt the chocolate and cream over a low heat. Remove from the heat and whisk until thick and glossy. Allow to cool and spread over the torte. Top with blackberries.