Cheese and jalapeno cornbread is super easy to make and tastes great with rich cornbread and a little heat! It's perfect as a snack, brunch with poached eggs or alongside a chilli or Mexican bean stew. Vegetarian.
Cheese Jalapeno Cornbread
I love making cornbread - it's quick, easy and has a lovely soft but dense texture.
You can make it plain and serve it with honey, but I love it with cheese and some hot jalapenos for a bit of kick.
The recipe couldn't be easier - just mix it up and cook to perfection!
Jalapeno cornbread is wonderful on its own, but I also like to have it for brunch with a poached egg and steamed spinach. It's also perfect for mopping up chilli or Mexican stews. Try it with some vegan fajitas too!
Get the Cheese Jalepeno Cornbread Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Cheese and Jalapeno Cornbread
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 1/2 cups (250g)cornmeal (or polenta)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (350ml) milk
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cups (75g) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1-2 teaspoons jalapenos chopped (fresh or from a jar)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 220C / 425F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, eggs and cooled melted butter.
- Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry, then add the cheese and jalapenos and stir again briefly.
- Lightly grease a 8 inch cake tin with cooking oil. Pour the batter in, level to the edges and cook for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- At the end of the cooking time, add the extra grated cheese and allow to melt for a minute or so in the oven. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes before serving.