The fatless tropical mango courgette cake is filled with healthy veg! Courgette (zucchini!) adds moisture to the fruity cake as well as pretty green flecks. A moist and flavorful vegetable cake recipe.
Mango Courgette Cake
This cake is moist and tropical.
The courgette and mango mean you don’t need to use butter or oil, so it’s a fatless cake.
It’s perfect topped with a Coconut Cream Icing.
Sit back, cut a slice and pretend you’re on the beach.
vegetable cake recipes
There are so many great reasons to add vegetables to cake recipes.
They add such an incredible moistness, which means they last ages without drying out.
The vegetables also add goodness to cakes. They’re still cake, but with some extra nutrients!
Often vegetables add natural colours to cake. Check out my apple kale cake – it’s bright green.
I stepped on my 3 year old’s imaginary sandcastle this morning. Trust me, you don’t ever EVER want to do that.
So, if he’s feeling beachy tropical, then I’m feeling beachy tropical.
Instead of a pina colada (which I deserve after the sand tantrum), I thought I’d use up the ripe mango hogging the fruit bowl to make a cake.
But I can’t just make a mango cake.
Oh, no. It has to be a vegetable cake.
The courgette (zucchini) in the fridge was desperate to join the party, so into the recipe it went.
There isn’t any butter or oil in this recipe so you can pretend there isn’t any sugar in it and go wild. Wild-ish, because, you know, it’s still cake.
Get the mango courgette recipe
Did you make this vegetable cake recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Mango Courgette Cake
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 courgette zucchini
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (275g) plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F/ 170C. Lightly grease a 23cm/9" round cake tin.
- Peel, chop flesh from the pit and puree the mango flesh.
- Grate the unpeeled courgette and then wring it out in a clean tea towel or with kitchen paper to get the bulk of the moisture out.
- In a large bowl mix the mango, courgette, sugar, eggs and vanilla together well.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda and salt and blend together.
- Pour it all into the prepared cake tin and bake for 35 minutes or until an inserted skewer come out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes than turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.