Grilled herb potatoes are perfect for a barbecue. I've paired them with three vegan, gluten-free dipping sauces that are ideal for sharing, including 'steak' sauce, marie rose/cocktail sauce and a lime and chilli dip.
Vegans, vegetarians and coeliac know how to make veg the star of the show for barbecues. From skewers of veggies to beautiful salads and side dishes, a veggie bbq is never dull. While the others eat brown meat in brown buns, we eat a rainbow of goodies.
I've mixed up a trio of dips that are perfect alongside crispy, herby grilled potatoes. They're great for any summer BBQ. I'd serve them with a butter bean salad and some stuffed mushrooms (sub the cheese for dairy free if required) to make it a full spread that's packed with veggies. And it's all so quick and easy, too!
I've made a dark, sweetly vinegary 'steak' sauce that is pepped up with a bit of stout (choose a gluten free vegan one if required), a hot and tangy lime and chilli dipping sauce and a classic British Marie Rose (cocktail sauce).
These are perfect sharing dips and everyone can try them out rather than just defaulting to tomato sauce. They're super-easy to put together and can be made in advance.
It seems to be ingrained in many people that a barbecue solely consists of meat, white rolls and a token green salad, that when faced with a guest who is veggie, vegan or gluten-free, they panic.
Here are some tips for a free-from BBQ:
1. Skewers are perfect for adding that chargrilled flavour to vegetables. Use whatever vegetables you have and soak bamboo sticks first so they don't burn. Brush them with a mix of herbs, garlic, oil and lemon juice for extra flavour.
2. Keep a space on the barbecue for veggies who may not want their food cooked together with meat.
3. You can whiz up a vegan burger in no time using frozen ingredients and chickpeas, and make it ahead of time. Check out my spinach and pea burgers.
4. Make a variety of salads, like potato salad with herb tahini dressing, bean salad or sumac-roasted peppers with kasha buckwheat salad.
5. Add grains and pulses, such as quinoa, lentils and rice to salads to bulk them up without gluten.
6. There are lots of vegan, veggie and gluten-free meat substitutes that are great for the barbecue.
7. For a free-from dessert, barbecue slices of pineapple, peaches or skewers of fresh fruit, then drizzle them in a little maple syrup.
Barbecues are a great excuse to get everyone to bring a dish. I grew up in Canada where every BBQ party is a 'potluck', with guests all bringing something to share. To me, this always makes for the best party. Instead of one person slaving in the kitchen, everyone pitches in and makes something special. Plus, most people bring side dishes so you have a huge variety to sample. And anyone on a free-from diet knows that barbecues are all about the sides!
Grilled Herb Potatoes and Dipping Sauces
For the Grilled Potatoes
- 1 kg new potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 handful mixed chopped fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme etc...
- 1 clove garlic crushed
For the Steak Sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sauce (ie: A1 or HP)
- 2 tbsp stout (ie Guinness) check the label to ensure vegan if required
For the Marie Rose Sauce
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise or vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce or vegan alternative
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the Lime and Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise or vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp yogurt or vegan yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
For the grilled potatoes
- If using bamboo skewers, pre-soak them first so they don't burn.
- Wash the potatoes and cut so they're in similarly-sized pieces suitable for skewers.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until just tender.
- Drain and rinse the potatoes under cold water then thread onto skewers.
- In a small bowl, mix the oil, herbs and garlic together. Brush the herb oil onto the skewered potatoes.
- Place onto the heated barbecue or grill until very lightly charred.
For the dipping sauces
- Meanwhile, mix all ingredients together for each dipping sauce in three small bowls.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.