This vegan salad has new potatoes covered in a quick herb tahini dressing with avocado and radishes. It's fresh and fragrant.
This summery salad brings together delicious baby new potatoes, chunks of creamy avocado and peppery radishes, that are then covered in a fragrant herb tahini dressing.
It's a simple salad that's full of great taste!
Whether it's raining outside and you're yearning for the summer sun to return, or you're making a special salad for a barbecue or picnic, this salad makes the most of the season's best offerings: new potatoes, herbs and radishes.
Creamy, nutty new potatoes, with their delicate papery skins, herald the peak of the season as spring makes way for summer.
As the days grow longer, suddenly spring brings my favourite seasonal produce.
We all have signifiers that alert us to the rapid approach of longer evenings, eating al fresco and warmer days. Maybe it's buds on trees or delicate birds seeking worms in the garden.
But for me it's the seasonal food: radishes, asparagus and new potatoes.
I wanted to make something that lets the beautiful texture and sweet flavour of the seasonal potatoes shine through.
A potato salad is always a winner and is the perfect make-ahead side dish for picnics. It's easy to transport and the flavour only gets better after a day in the fridge.
Tahini is having a bit of a trendy moment right now, so I've used it as a base for the dressing then packed it with handfuls of fresh herbs that are bursting into season right now and a zing of lemon juice.
New Potato Salad with Herb Tahini Dressing
- 2 cups (500g) new potatoes
- 1 ripe avocado
For the herb tahini dressing
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 spring onion roughly chopped
- ½ clove garlic
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- pinch sea salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley and basil
- 5 radishes thinly sliced
- Wash the Jersey Royal potatoes and slice any large ones in half. Gently boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain, run under cold water and leave to cool.
- To make the dressing, add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the cooled potatoes and toss to coat. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, cut the avocado flesh into chunks and pile onto the dressed salad then sprinkle with the sliced radishes, parsley and basil.
- Serves 4 as a side dish.