Apple Parsnip Crumble (crisp) is a new take on the classic dessert. The parsnip adds a subtle nutty sweetness that balances well with the tart apple. It's also a great way to use up leftover parsnips!
Always on the lookout for a new veggie dessert, for this one I just added a parsnip to my usual apple crumble recipe.
Simply slice it thinly or grate some parsnip into the apples and it brings a subtly sweet nutty flavour.
It is also nice with added raisins or berries.
Adding parsnip to a traditional apple crumble recipe brings a new texture and taste to the classic dish. The nutty parsnips really enhance the tart apples.
This recipe is great for making with the kids.
My toddlers love nothing more than dragging the dining room chairs into the kitchen to 'help' me cook.
Often this means a piece of toast for breakfast takes 15 minutes to butter, but they love it. This is easy for them to help with and quite low in sugar so good for them to eat, too!
parsnip dessert recipes
If you love this parsnip crumble, then you'll also love these other creative desserts - with parsnips!
I know it sounds crazy to bake with parsnips, but we're all used to carrot cake and carrot desserts, so it's not really that much of a stretch.
You'll love the subtle earthy and nutty flavor that parsnips bring to all these tasty cakes and dessert recipes.
And, if you're green-fingered, you can even grow parsnips at home for your parsnip crumble!
Maple Parsnip Cake with Sweet Potato Frosting
Winter-Spiced Parsnip Cake with Mulled Wine Drizzle
Apple Parsnip Cupcakes with Boozy Apple Cider Icing
Vegetable Peeling Cake (carrot, parsnip)
Lemon, Poppy Seed and Parsnip Muffins
Carrot, Parsnip and Coconut Flapjacks
Parsnip Madeira Cake
get the parsnip crumble recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Parsnip and Apple Crumble
For the filling:
- 3 apples
- 1 parsnip
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp plain all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp water
For the crumble topping:
- 2/3 cup (50g) oats
- 1/2 cup (50g) plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp butter or vegan butter, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C.
- Peel and core the apples and chop into chunks. Peel and grate the parsnip and place it, along with the apple, into a small ovenproof dish. Combine the tablespoon of flour, sugar, cinnamon and ginger and sprinkle it over the apples and parsnips, mixing until coated. Sprinkle a tablespoon of water over it all.
- In a large bowl mix together the porridge oats, flour and sugar. Add the butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Pour the crumble mixture over the filling and bake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes or until the crumble is golden and the filling is soft.