Vegan Victoria Sponge Cake
This is an airy, light and fluffy vegan Victoria sponge cake recipe. It's really quick and easy with just one-bowl!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 + 1/3 cups (300ml) dairy-free milk almond, oat etc.. work well
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 + 1/3 cups (325g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (200g) caster sugar
- 3/4 cup (150g) Crisco or Trex (solid vegetable baking fat) , plus extra for greasing
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the filling
- 1/2 cup (100g) Crisco or Trex (solid vegetable baking fat)
- 1 + 1/8 cups (150g) powdered icing sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam
Heat oven to 180C/350F. Lightly grease 2 x 20cm (8") round cake pans and line the bottoms with baking parchment.
Stir the vinegar or lemon juice into the dairy-free milk and leave for a few minutes to curdle slightly and create ‘buttermilk’.
In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, TREX, vanilla, baking powder and buttermilk and beat (with a wooden spoon or electric mixer) until smooth. Take care not to overmix.
Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the filling:
Beat the TREX, icing sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. If the mixture is too thick, add a tablespoon of dairy-free milk. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a plain nozzle.
Spread the jam over the bottom layer of completely cooled cake. Pipe the buttercream over the jam, then place the second layer of cake over the top.
Sift a dusting of icing sugar over the top layer.
Tips and Tricks:
- How long will vegan Victoria sponge keep? Store it in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- You can use any jam you like in the cake, from raspberry to apricot (or even carrot jam!). But strawberry is the most traditional.
- Feel free to sprinkle the top of the cake with caster sugar instead of powdered sugar
- Strawberries make a nice decoration for the top of the cake
- Serve it as a vegan birthday cake or with afternoon tea
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 204mg | Potassium: 93mg | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 955IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 0.4mg