Vegan Carrot Cake
This 1-bowl vegan carrot cake is insanely delicious! It's moist, flavourful and super easy to make in just 35 minutes. Nobody will guess that it's vegan!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 4 medium carrots to make 300g/2cups grated
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (175g) light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) vegan milk soy, almond etc…
- 3 cups (375g) plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (70g) walnuts, chopped
- vegan cream cheese frosting
- Chopped walnuts to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F. Grease and line 2 x 20cm/8” round cake pans.
Peel and grate the carrots and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the oil, sugar and vanilla for a few minutes until the sugar starts to dissolve, then stir in the milk.
Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt and gently combine. Stir in the walnuts and grated carrot.
Divide the batter between the two baking pans and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Spread half of the cream cheese frosting onto the bottom layer, add the top layer and frost the top with the remaining frosting. Sprinkle the top with chopped walnuts.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is created with online calculators. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. The information is calculated without the frosting.
- The perfect topping is my quick vegan cream cheese frosting, though you could also opt for vegan vanilla frosting or vegan lemon frosting. Both work beautifully with this cake.
- If you like raisins in your carrot cake, add in a handful.
- If you don't like walnuts, swap them for different nuts or leave them out altogether.
- When you add the dry ingredients, be sure to combine it all, but don't over mix.
- You can grate the carrots by hand, or use a food processor.
- Keep it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or keep it covered in the fridge for up to 7 days. If you've used my vegan cream cheese frosting it will need to be kept in the fridge (for up to 4 days).
- You can freeze this cake, well wrapped and un-frosted.
- This is an eggless carrot cake.
Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 306mg | Potassium: 206mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 3395IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 1.9mg