Mushrooms are perfect for vegan fajitas. They have a lovely dense ‘meaty’ texture that’s perfect alongside the crispy peppers. Cook them in the spices, then serve on a tortilla with salsa, avocado and guacamole! Ready in just 15 minutes.
Prep Time7 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups (250g) mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 red pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder optional
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 avocado sliced
- Fresh cilantro coriander, roughly chopped
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium/high heat. Add the mushrooms, peppers and onions and cook for 3-5 minute or until soft and much of the juice from the mushrooms has evaporated, stirring often.
Stir in the spices and cook for a further minute.
Serve the tortillas rolled up with the mushroom mixture, avocado, coriander, salsa and guacamole.
- Nutrition is calculated including a tortilla wrap, but excluding additional toppings.
- Mushrooms are perfect for veggie fagitas as they have a nice dense texture, but feel free to swap for other veggies, like zucchini, summer squash etc...
- For extra protein, spread the fajitas with refried beans or add half a can of black beans to the veggies while cooking.
- Leave your mushrooms in a sunny windowsill for half an hour before cooking, so they can naturally create vitamin D - something we could all use a bit more of this time of year.
- Try making your own flour tortillas from scratch.
- Turn them into vegetarian fajitas by adding sour cream and cheese. You can, of course, also add vegan versions instead!
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 212mg | Potassium: 365mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1114IU | Vitamin C: 96mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg