Quick and Easy Yeast-Free Naan Bread Recipe
Once you make this easy naan bread recipe, I’m sure you’ll never want to buy pre-made ones again. Just mix the four ingredients and knead them for a few minutes to bring it together, then roll it out and pan fry. It's a yeast free bread that's light, fluffy and tasty!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 2 cups (250g) all purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) plain yogurt (or dairy free vegan yogurt)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. You’ll probably need to use your hands to bring it all together. Knead it for a minute or so in the bowl until it comes together in a fairly sticky ball. If necessary, add a little more flour to make it manageable.
Divide it into six equal pieces. Using a rolling pin dusted with flour, roll each one out onto a floured surface to about 6” diameter.
Heat a frying pan (without oil) until hot. Cook each flatbread for a few minutes on each side until lightly golden spots appear and it puffs up.
Best eaten on the same day. If making ahead, warm them up in the oven before serving.
To make the vegan naan, use dairy free yogurt. You may need to add a little more flour.
To make gluten free naan, use your favourite gluten free flour. You may need to adjust the amount, but make it a very sticky dough.
Naan bread tips:
- Versatile - you can use them as general flatbreads, for kebabs or falafel, or my halloumi souvlaki.
- Brush wet flavourings on after, such as garlic infused butter or herb/chilli oil
- Add dry spices to the dough, such as cumin, garam masala, sumac etc...
- This is a yeast free bread, so it's very quick and easy!
- Get the pan very hot for best results - you want the naan breads to cook quickly
- Make them in a frying pan or griddle pan
- Make gluten-free naan: swap to your favourite gluten-free flour and adjust the amount as it might absorb the yogurt differently.
- Make vegan naan: It's really easy to make vegan naan, just swap to dairy free yogurt, such as soy yogurt.
Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 8g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 113mg | Potassium: 238mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 2mg