These Coconut Oil Brownies with Maple Roasted Sweet Potato are a decadent, but healthier, way to get that chocolate hit! They're a decadent and delicious vegetable dessert.
Sweet potatoes go so well with cinnamon that I thought I'd roast them in spice and sweet, gloopy maple syrup. They turned out magical. I could have eaten them as a treat on their own, but I haven't baked cake in ages so... coconut oil chocolate brownies with maple-roasted sweet potato chunks. You can't taste the potato, but the cinnamon flavour comes through and the coconut oil instead of butter gives these brownies a lovely cakey texture with that classic brownie-esque crispy top.
So sit with me a moment. Let's relax together. Let's eat brownies.
I can't breathe. Sometimes life just seems so busy, so hurried.
My mind is like a bullet train going nowhere and I want to get off, or at least sit down with a cup of tea and a newspaper, but nobody will give me a seat.
Maybe it's leaving my job to go part-time.
Perhaps it's that we've just moved into a beautiful Victorian house that needs a LOT of work.
Maybe it's that I need to calm down and write more to-do lists out, perhaps go and find an early-blossoming rose and smell it.
Whatever it is, I just don't feel like I can fully relax.
I'm sure many of you feel the same. I take comfort in that.
Often I bake to relax, but our new house has The World's Worst Kitchen® (officially recognised), so until the new one is built it isn't the most relaxing of pastimes. I need another outlet. I need life without a four-page to-do list. Maybe a massage.
I baked these cakey, chocolatey brownies with the kids. In a rubbish kitchen. Not relaxing. The flour flew, the kids fought over who got to stir first and the cleanup was rather excruciating. But the brownies turned out great, the kids were entertained and I was able to feed them brownies long enough to take a few pictures before the sun went down.
Have more sweet potato to use up? Try one of these veggie recipes!
I've FINALLY set up a Facebook page for VeggieDesserts. Please 'like' it!
Coconut Oil Brownies with Maple Roasted Sweet Potato
For the sweet potatoes
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and cubed (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the brownies
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¾ cup (145g) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (85g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- large pinch of salt
For the maple-roasted sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F.
- In a shallow baking dish, melt the coconut oil. Add the cubed sweet potatoes and carefully stir to coat. Drizzle with the maple syrup, sprinkle with the ground cinnamon and coat.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until soft but not browned. Set aside.
For the coconut oil brownies
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F. Grease and line a shallow 8x8” square baking tray.
- In a saucepan, or in a microwave, melt the coconut oil then stir in the sugar until it dissolves. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the vanilla in a cup and then mix into the coconut oil. Stir the coconut mixture into the flour mixture. Add the sweet potato cubes and gently combine.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared pan and spread into the corners. Bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for a few minutes and then cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into squares when cool.