Make this tasty Coronation Chickpea Sandwich recipe with chickpeas, mayo, mango chutney, curry powder, and sweet dried fruit. It's my vegan take on the famous chicken salad created for Queen Elizabeth’s coronation in 1953.
Be sure to check out my epic list of Vegan Sandwiches too!
Vegan Coronation Chickpea Sandwich is a quick, easy and flavorful lunch!
You can whip the filling up in minutes and it is bursting with flavor from a light curry powder and dried fruit.
Coronation Chicken is a popular British sandwich filling (or salad) that was created for Queen Elizabeth II's coronation banquet in 1953.
My vegan version takes the chicken and swaps it right out for canned chickpeas making for a great salad that is packed with protein and fiber.
You simply have to mix chickpeas with vegan mayo, mango chutney, curry powder, and bursts of sweet flavor from raisins and dried apricots.
Try it on top of a green salad, use it on a sandwich, or roll it up into a wrap for a satisfying lunch, dinner, or snack!
You'll also love my other vegan sandwiches, including Vegan Tuna Salad - which is also full of nutritious chickpeas.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Coronation Chickpea Sandwich is a vegan twist on a British classic.
Add it to a green salad, sandwich, or wrap.
This is a super easy vegan sandwich recipe.
You can use it as a dip for raw vegetables or chips.
You can customize the level of curry flavor to your tastes.
- Vegan Mayo - The creamy base of the chickpea salad that holds all the flavors.
- Mango Chutney - Adds a sweet and bold kick to the sandwich.
- Mild Curry Powder - Gives the chickpea salad a mild curry flavor.
- Dried Raisins - Adds texture and natural sweetness, you can also use dried apricots.
- Canned Chickpeas - The main protein and fiber component of the sandwich.
- Salt & Pepper - Helps enhance the flavors of the chickpea salad.
- Bread - Use regular sandwich bread or your favorite roll.
- Lettuce - Adds a fresh crunch and texture to the sandwich.
Please see the recipe card below for quantities.
Wondering how to make this coronation chickpeas recipe? It's easy! Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Assemble the chickpea salad. Mix the mayo, chutney, and curry powder in a bowl.
Stir in the raisins & apricots.
Mash the chickpeas slightly and stir into the mixture, then season with salt and pepper.
Assemble the sandwich. Evenly distribute the chickpea salad onto bread. Top with lettuce, slice in half, and serve cold.
If you decide to cook the chickpeas yourself, make sure they are cooked well enough to mash slightly into the salad as chickpeas that are not cooked properly will not mash well.
Add as little or as much of the seasonings as you enjoy, and taste along the way for best results.
This salad is best served cold after chilling for at least 2 hours in the fridge so all of the flavors can come together.
You can buy vegan mayonnaise or make your own 5-minute Vegan Mayo.
Add some crunch by tossing in some chopped nuts.
Give it some heat by sprinkling in some red chili flakes, cayenne pepper, or add in some finely diced jalapenos.
Chop up some cilantro or basil and add it to the salad for a fresh herb taste.
Replace the raisins with dried cranberries or currants for a unique tart flavor.
Don’t like mayo? Used mashed avocado instead!
Storing: You can store the coronation chickpea filling in the fridge in an airtight container for 4-5 days. You may need to add a little more vegan mayo as the chickpeas could absorb moisture in the fridge.
Freezing: I don't recommend freezing for this chickpea salad.
This popular chicken dish is made of chicken, dried fruit, curry powder, and a creamy mayo base. This version is vegan and made with chickpeas to replace the chicken.
As the seasonings are added to the salad mix, the ingredients may release some water. The best way to combat this is to add a bit more mayo until the salad is creamy and comes back together.
It’s not completely necessary, but it is part of the classic version and makes it taste delicious!
More vegan sandwich recipes
We hope you love this coronation chickpea sandwich recipe! Be sure to check out these other tasty sandwich recipes too.
Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Plus, you'll get a free eBook: 15 Minute Vegan Dinners!
Coronation Chickpea Sandwich
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 3 tablespoon raisins and/or chopped dried apricots
- 1 can 14oz/400g chickpeas drained and rinsed⠀
- Salt and pepper to taste⠀
- 8 slices of bread⠀
- Mix the mayo, chutney and curry powder in a bowl. Stir in the raisins & apricots.⠀
- Mash the chickpeas slightly and stir into the mixture, then season with salt and pepper.⠀
- Serve in a sandwich with lettuce. Enjoy.⠀
- If you decide to cook the chickpeas yourself, make sure they are cooked well enough to mash slightly into the salad as chickpeas that are not cooked properly will not mash well.
- Add as little or as much of the seasonings as you enjoy, and taste along the way for best results.
- This salad is best served cold after chilling for at least 2 hours in the fridge so all of the flavors can come together.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.