Hearts of palm are commonly used in salads, stews, and vegan cooking. If you're wondering how to use them, we've rounded up the best Hearts of Palm Recipes right here for you!
Hearts of palm are a vegetable from the center of certain palm trees. They have a very subtle flavor, like mild artichoke hearts, and a dense texture.
Hearts of palm are a versatile ingredient that are used in a variety of cuisines. We love using them in salads, soups, and stews.
You can use Hearts of palm as a meat substitute in vegan and vegetarian dishes. I love using them this way since they have such a distinct seafood-like texture and mild flavor that can take on the other seasonings in the dish. Check out my recipe for Vegan Lobster Roll!
They can be eaten raw, cooked, or canned. When cooked, you can sautée, grill, or roast them.
You can find them jarred or canned in larger grocery stores and health food stores.
Culinary Uses of Hearts of Palm
Hearts of palm have a delicate flavor and texture that makes them a great addition to many dishes. Here are some popular ways that you can use them.
- You can use heart of palm to add a crisp and refreshing element to salads. They pair well with leafy greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocados.
- You can also use them as a filling in appetizers, such as stuffed mushrooms or stuffed jalapeños. Try them in these vegan crabless stuffed mushrooms.
- Use Hearts of palm as a meat substitute in sandwiches and wraps. They have a similar texture to chicken or tuna so you can use them to make vegan or vegetarian versions of classic sandwiches.
- Try adding them to soups and stews to add a unique flavor and texture.
Health Benefits of Hearts of Palm
In addition to being a tasty ingredient, hearts of palm also offer many health benefits. Here are some of the health benefits of hearts of palm:
- Rich in Nutrients: Hearts of palm are rich in nutrients, such as fiber, potassium, calcium, and vitamin C.
- Low in Calories: Hearts of palm are low in calories, making them a great addition to a healthy diet.
- Promote Digestive Health: Hearts of palm are a good source of dietary fiber, which helps to promote digestive health and prevent constipation.
- May Help Regulate Blood Sugar: Hearts of palm have a low glycemic index, which means they don't cause a rapid increase in blood sugar levels.
Hearts of palm are a delicious and nutritious ingredient, and you can use them in a variety of dishes.
Whether you're looking for a healthy snack or a new addition to your favorite recipe, hearts of palm are a great choice.
So why not give them a try and discover all the tasty ways you can use them in your cooking?
Hearts of Palm Recipes
So, here are the 15 best palm heart recipes that I've found around the internet. We hope they will inspire you to try out this vegetable!