til stewThis Lentil Tomato Stew is one of my favourite camping recipes. You can, of course, make it at home on the stove, but I love how easy it is when out camping.
This one-pot lentil and tomato stew is perfect to make while camping.
It's quick, easy, nourishing and filling.
We make versions of this lentil stew all the time at home, but I've added a few tweaks to it so it's simple to make outdoors.
Camping recipes need to be easy but worth the effort, and this one ticks those boxes.
I like to prepare my chopped vegetables before heading for the campsite.
You can, of course, bring a chopping board and chop your veg while you're there, but I always chop them up and stick them in a ziplock bag to make sure cooking at the campsite is extra easy.
You can add all the ingredients for each meal into one bag and label it, repeating for all other meals.
Tips for camping cooking
- Pre-chop ingredients for each meal and put them in labelled ziplock bags.
- Use onion and garlic powder for extra flavour and to save fiddly chopping.
- Buy cans with pull tab openings so you don't have a problem if you forget the tin opener.
- Take pre-washed bagged spinach and salad to save the trouble of washing the leaves.
- Bring frozen pre-prepared soup or stew, so you'll have a meal ready on the second day when it thaws.
- Sachets of pre-cooked rice are easy to transport and can be reheated in a frying pan or pot.
- Spray oil is easy to use and won't leak.
I love how you can really adapt so many of your favourite stovetop recipes to make when camping.
There's no need to stick to porridge and instant ramen!
Did you make this lenrecipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
Lentil Tomato Stew
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 cup (125g) mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400g/14oz can)
- ½ cup (120ml) water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 14 oz (400g) can brown or green lentils drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups (450g) spinach
- small handful fresh parsley roughly chopped (optional)
- Fresh bread to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pot and add the garlic (if using garlic powder, add with the tomatoes). Cook for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms and peppers and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water (cold is fine), stock cube and simmer for 8-10 minutes to allow it to reduce slightly.
- Add the lentils and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in 3 large handfuls of the spinach and allow it to wilt.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with the parsley.
- Optional: Serve with fresh bread and a salad using the leftover spinach.