til stewThis Lentil Tomato Stew is one of my favourite camping recipes. You can, of course, make it at home on the stove, but I love how easy it is when out camping.
This one-pot lentil and tomato stew is perfect to make while camping.
It's quick, easy, nourishing and filling.
We make versions of this lentil stew all the time at home, but I've added a few tweaks to it so it's simple to make outdoors.
Camping recipes need to be easy but worth the effort, and this one ticks those boxes.
I like to prepare my chopped vegetables before heading for the campsite.
You can, of course, bring a chopping board and chop your veg while you're there, but I always chop them up and stick them in a ziplock bag to make sure cooking at the campsite is extra easy.
You can add all the ingredients for each meal into one bag and label it, repeating for all other meals.
Tips for camping cooking
- Pre-chop ingredients for each meal and put them in labelled ziplock bags.
- Use onion and garlic powder for extra flavour and to save fiddly chopping.
- Buy cans with pull tab openings so you don't have a problem if you forget the tin opener.
- Take pre-washed bagged spinach and salad to save the trouble of washing the leaves.
- Bring frozen pre-prepared soup or stew, so you'll have a meal ready on the second day when it thaws.
- Sachets of pre-cooked rice are easy to transport and can be reheated in a frying pan or pot.
- Spray oil is easy to use and won't leak.
Looking for more healthy camping recipes? Try my Lentil Dahl or Vegetable Stew. The Hedgecombers also has this very popular cowboy stew camping recipe.
I love how you can really adapt so many of your favourite stovetop recipes to make when camping.
There's no need to stick to porridge and instant ramen!
Did you make this lenrecipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
Lentil Tomato Stew
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 cup (125g) mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400g/14oz can)
- ½ cup (120ml) water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 14 oz (400g) can brown or green lentils drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups (450g) spinach
- small handful fresh parsley roughly chopped (optional)
- Fresh bread to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pot and add the garlic (if using garlic powder, add with the tomatoes). Cook for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms and peppers and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water (cold is fine), stock cube and simmer for 8-10 minutes to allow it to reduce slightly.
- Add the lentils and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in 3 large handfuls of the spinach and allow it to wilt.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with the parsley.
- Optional: Serve with fresh bread and a salad using the leftover spinach.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
Great recipe! We often cook this sort of meal at home, but I hadn't made it camping before. I had everything on hand so saved the recipe on my phone and made it at our campsite. Really easy and even my picky son ate it.
That looks like a hearty recipe to keep campers going (and to warm them up if it gets chilly)
I haven't been camping in such a long time! Really been thinking about it a lot recently so thank you for the tips! I only ever think about taking tinned food when camping so properly making a nice meal sounds lovely!
Oh yum! I love lentils and this sounds a really filling, warming meal.
I've only ever camped at festivals so have never tried cooking outdoors before.
I love how easy this is! I camp often so I'll definitely be making a note of this one!
I always see camping food as just tins of baked beans reheated great to see how much else you can do.
Those are such good camping hacks, thank you! I normally just end up frying stuff when camping so this is a great idea for a wholesome tasty meal.
This camping food is so much nicer than anything I've had before, I never think about prepping things before to cook x
This looks delicious! I really need to start cooking again and I miss eating lentils! So yum!
Yum! Such a wonderful, freshly made meal for camping. I love all the tips you included and the guide for equipment. Your set-up looks amazing.
Monica | Nourish & Fete
This looks delicious, and I love all your tips on camp cooking! We don't camp very much right now, but it's one of the things I am most excited to do when we move back to the US in another year. I hope I can put all this advice to good use! 🙂
These tips are amazing!! I don't cam often, but I DO spend a lot of time at the lake...I can use all of these helpful hints up there too - thanks so much!
I've been having a lentil craving lately! I hardly ever cook with them but they're popping up all over my feed, this looks simple and quick enough!
What a beautiful and flavoursome lentil stew. Great tips on camping.
Thanks! It's definitely flavoursome.