In these almond spinach cupcakes, the flavour of spinach fades away beneath the almond. But it leaves a wonderfully green colour to the cupcakes!
Spinach is a great vegetable to bake with. It keeps its wonderful green colour, but the flavour is always so subtle.
I puree fresh spinach when I have it, but those frozen cubes of chopped spinach are very handy for a quick veggie dessert.
Just defrost, squeeze out the excess water and bake.
For now, here's the recipe for my light and moist spinach cupcakes.
These spinach cupcakes taste delicious with coconut cream icing.
spinach dessert recipes
Looking for more spinach dessert recipes? Try these cakes and treats!
get the almond spinach cupcakes recipe
Did you make this spinach cupcakes recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Almond Spinach Cupcakes
- 7 oz (200g) fresh spinach (or frozen chopped spinach)
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- ½ cup (100g) applesauce
- ⅓ cup (100ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F / 180C. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Puree the fresh spinach in a food processor, or with a hand held blender, until it is liquified. If using frozen spinach, thaw it and squeeze out the excess water.
- Beat the eggs, almond extract and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the oil, applesauce, lemon juice and pureed spinach.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the spinach mixture and combine. Pour into the muffin cups.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. If making this as a cake, increase cooking time to 35 minutes.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.