These baked pumpkin donuts with chocolate glaze are fluffy, cakey and lightly spiced - perfect for Fall.
Fall is my favorite time of year. When the leaves change color and fall to the ground, the temperature drops and the scarves come out, I get such joy.
Suddenly tins of pumpkin make an appearance in the supermarkets and the internet is awash with vegetable desserts using the humble gourd.
Nearly as ubiquitous as carrot cake, pumpkin desserts seem to be everywhere these days - and I love it!
It's perfect in dessert, especially in Pumpkin Donuts! They're moist, flavorful, and full of Fall flavors.
Pumpkin works so well in desserts. It's faintly sweet flavor pairs beautifully with warm spices to herald autumn.
Have you tried making baked donuts before? You'll need a Donut Pan (affiliate Amazon link), but they're inexpensive and suddenly you'll be able to turn all sorts of cake batters into donuts!
Plus, since you don't have to fry them, they're much healthier.
I've drizzled the donuts in a chocolate glaze, prompting my son to refer to them as tiger doughnuts. He then quickly tucked in while nodding his head in enjoyment and giving me a thumbs up.
That's high praise from a six-year-old.
More Pumpkin Desserts
I love baking with vegetables, and pumpkins are no exception! They add moisture and work beautifully with spices.
Try these tasty pumpkin desserts.
Get the Baked Pumpkin Donut Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.
Thanks for checking out my pumpkin donuts! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this recipe blog.
Baked Pumpkin Donuts with Chocolate Glaze
- ½ cup (150g) pumpkin puree (or cooked and pureed pumpkin or butternut squash)
- ⅔ cup (125g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (50g) butter , melted and cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- pinch of salt
For the glaze
- 1 ⅛ cups (150g) powdered icing sugar
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan/325F/gas mark3. Lightly grease a doughnut pan with oil.
- In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin, sugar, milk, egg, cooled melted butter and vanilla together. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and gently combine.
- Fill the doughnut molds with the batter until nearly full and bake for 15 minutes or until springy and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tray for 5 minutes, then carefully remove from the pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
For the chocolate glaze
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together into a bowl. Add the milk and vanilla and whisk until smooth. It should be a thick drizzling consistency. If necessary, add a teaspoon more of icing sugar to thicken, or a tsp of milk to thin. Drizzle over the completely cooled doughnuts.