These cheesy sweet potato waffles are a perfect lunch, brunch or dinner. They have a subtly fiery kick from the jalapenos to compliment the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and are topped with a crown of cheddar shards for a showstopping crunch.
Adding sweet potato to waffles gives them loads of delicious flavor! I’ve also filled them with cheese and jalapenos.
To add a little bit of extra pizazz, I’ve topped them with these super simple fried cheese shards.
They get crispy and delicious. You know when you cook something cheesy and the extra cheese gets hard and wonderful on the bottom of the pan? Well, why not just make those crispy cheese bits yourself!
So, let’s make crispy cheese the star of the show – let’s make cheese shards to go atop Cheddar and Jalapeno Sweet Potato Waffles!
I’ve added cheese to pureed sweet potato (a great way to use up leftovers!) and added a bit of heat with finely chopped jalapeno peppers.
For an extra cheese hit, I’ve made showstopping (but super-easy) cheese shards to give the meal a bit of crunch. There are those lovely crispy bits!
Sweet Potato Waffles with Cheese Shards
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 100 g 1 cup oats
- 125 g 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (I used Cathedral City Mature)
- 3-5 jalapeno slices or 1 fresh jalapeno - to taste, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Egg
- 180 ml ¾ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil vegetable, olive, or coconut
For the cheese shards
- 125 g 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- 2 handfuls rocket arugula
- Roast the sweet potatoes for 40 minutes in a hot oven (200C / 400F) until soft and cooked through. Allow to cool and remove the skins. (This recipe is great for using up leftover cooked sweet potato from the night before!)
- Preheat the waffle iron and spray with a little oil.
- Whiz the oats in a blender or food processor until fine. Pour into a large bowl and stir with the cheese, jalapenos, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Puree the sweet potato in a blender or food processor, then add the egg, milk and oil and pulse to combine. Pour into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the waffle irons until ¾ full and cook until golden. Repeat until the batter is used up.
- Meanwhile, for the cheese shards, heat the oven to 200C/400F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Arrange the grated cheese in small thin circles and cook until hot and starting to brown, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray. They will get crispy as they cool. When cool, snap into shards.
- Serve the waffles topped with creme fraiche/sour cream, rocket/arugula and the cooled crispy cheese shards.