Carrot Cake Porridge is a deliciously spiced bowl of oatmeal. The gentle spices take over while the flavour of the grated sweet carrot fades into the background. The maple caramelised nuts and seeds add a flavourful crunch.
carrot cake oatmeal
I love getting some vegetables into my diet at breakfast time. It's a great kick of nutrients for the morning.
Like in carrot cake, you don't really notice that the carrot is there. But it adds moisture, texture and health benefits.
This carrot cake porridge is full of all the delicious warming spices that you find in carrot cake.
It's a healthy way to enjoy those flavors.
For an added extra treat, I've topped the oatmeal with maple caramelized nuts and seeds. It's a delicious, crunch and tasty way to sweeten the porridge.
They have a good shelf life in the fridge, and even the flaccid older specimens can be whizzed with spare satsumas into a nourishing juice, added to vegetable mash as an alternative to potato, or grated on to the morning’s porridge with cinnamon.
To add extra flavour and nutrition to your family breakfast, try my delicious carrot-cake inspired porridge, topped with crunchy caramelised nuts.
Looking for fun and unusual recipes to use up carrots? Try these!
If you love this carrot cake porridge, you'll love these other oat recipes.
get the carrot cake porridge recipe
Did you make this carrot cake porridge recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Carrot Cake Porridge with Maple Caramelised Nuts
- ½ cup (50g) oats
- 1 cup (250g) unsweetened almond milk (or alternative)
- ½ cup (50g) raw carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of sea salt
For the maple-caramelised nuts and seeds:
- ⅓ cup (50g) mixed nuts
- 2 tablespoon mixed seeds
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Place the oats, milk, carrot, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt into a large pan over a medium heat.
- Stir frequently and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until thick and creamy. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Heat a dry non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until hot.
- Add the nuts, seeds, maple syrup, vanilla and salt and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes until the nuts and seeds are coated and the mixture is thick and reduced.
- Divide the carrot cake porridge into two bowls and top with the caramelised nuts. Allow the nuts to cool slightly before serving.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.