This carrot sweet potato soup is rich, creamy and packed with vegetables. It's really easy to make, vegan, gluten free and freezable.
Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
This carrot and sweet potato soup is creamy, naturally sweet and the flavour of the veg is balanced by the warm spice.
It's really easy to make, healthy, packed with vegetables and absolutely delicious.
It's creamy, but there's no dairy in it at all.
The creamy sweet potato soup is vegan and gluten-free, but bursting with flavour.
Why you'll love this Sweet Potato Soup
This soup is perfect for lunch, to pour into a flask for walks or picnics, or as a healthy main meal or starter.
Plus, you can freeze it, so make up a big batch!
This soup is also a great way to get kids helping out in the kitchen as it's quick and easy.
My children happily tuck into this soup and I love that it's a nourishing meal for us all.
Just add fresh bread (or get the kids to make my fun fresh bread shapes or easy naan bread), croutons or crackers to make it extra filling.
Or a side of raw veggies and hummus.
Check out my carrot hummus or pea hummus so you get lots of extra veggies with this meal!
I am a massive fan of soup. I have soup nearly every day for lunch, and often for dinner too.
There are just so many different types you can make, and it's so incredibly easy!
I also make big batches so I can freeze some for another day.
Vegan Soup Recipes
Some of my favourite soups are Kale Soup, Vegan Laksa, Mexican Bean Soup and Lentil Soup.
I also love beet soup, zucchini soup and so many other flavors.
They're all really easy to make, vegan and full of tasty flavor.
- Make it faster by using chopped frozen onion, garlic and vegetables!
- You can blend it with an immersion blender, hand held blender, blender or food processor. Or keep it chunky!
- This is a gluten free sweet potato soup
- This soup is naturally vegan and vegetarian
- This filling carrot sweet potato soup only has 141 calories per bowl
Storage and Freezing
- You can freeze this sweet potato soup for up to 3 months.
- Sweet potato soup will last for up to 5 days in the fridge, covered.
Looking for something to go with this delicious sweet potato soup? Try these!
Vegan Tuna Mayo (Tuna Salad) Sandwich
Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich
28 Tasty Healthy Salad Recipes
Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Pea Pesto
Feeling under the weather? Try these 16 Cold and Flu Fighting Recipes
Living on the Veg
Living on the Veg is full of tips and facts about vegetarianism, all written in a fun and accessible kid-friendly manner and targeted at ages 9-11 (though I'd say it is useful for a wider age range).
It's an exploration of what it means to be veggie and how to go about it in a healthy way.
The book has bright illustrations and a fun design.
It's written in a simple but not patronising way and absolutely stuffed with useful information.
My 6 year old and 8 year old both enjoyed it and learned a lot.
If you're looking for more vegan soup recipes, be sure to check out my list of 25+ VEGAN SOUP RECIPES!
Get the Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes and also easy vegan desserts.
This sweet potato soup recipe is by Jacqueline Meldrum for the book Living on the Veg, reproduced with permission by Wayland Books.
Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 kg sweet potatoes (approx 2 large) peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots (medium sized), grated
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- thyme leaves (to garnish, optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion and garlic and cook for 4 minutes until soft, stirring often.
- Add the carrots and sweet potatoes, then cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the ground cumin and cook for a further minute.
- Pour in the hot vegetable stock and increase the heat to high. Cook until the soup bubbles, then reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Blend the soup with a hand held emersion blender until smooth, or else carefully transfer to a blender to whiz. Season with salt and pepper.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
Delicious, sweet soup
Thank you so much for such a fabulous review Kate. I am so glad you enjoyed the book and I loved hearing about your own vegetarian journey.
I think it's a great book and wish it had been available to me as a kid. Lovely review too Kate and good to hear your story.
Oh I can totally relate to your story, I became a vegetarian at 7 years old in a house where nobody else was a vegetarian. And I had to scramble to follow my diet for so many years. I started eating fish in my early 20s. And 3 years ago, when pregnant with my son, I started to eat some meat again. At the beginning of this year, I went back into being a vegetarian, with some fish included in my diet. Either way, all of this to say I think your soup is super duper delicious and beautiful!!
Yum - a delicious soup and what a wonderful book. Sounds both tasty and educational for kids!
Marlynn | UrbanBlissLife
This looks so good! I am a huge fan of carrot soup!
This carrot and sweet potato soup sounds absolutely divine! I love soup, and so do all my children. Our favourite is a carrot and parsnip soup with ginger and I could see this recipe from the book becoming a staple in our home 🙂
I love this creamy soup! It looks so comforting and delicious!