Beet Cookies! Beets and dark chocolate chunks combine with oats to make a vibrant purple biscuit!
I've frequently extolled the virtues of the humble beetroot on this blog, but I just can't help myself; it's perfect for vegetable desserts.
The earthy taste of beets works wonderfully in sweet dishes, cakes and puddings.
In this beet cookies recipe I've mixed beetroot, oats and big chunks of dark chocolate to make biscuits that look as good as they taste.
The beet taste doesn't come through at all, so they're really just oatmeal chocolate cookies with extra nutrients and a gorgeous colour.
I love the colour of these beet cookies - so naturally purple, they prove that you don't need chemicals or food colouring to make food pretty.
Get the Beet Cookies with Dark Chocolate Chunks Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Beetroot Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 150 g 5 oz cooked beetroot (boiled, roasted, steamed, vacuum packed without vinegar)
- 150 g plain flour (all purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 100 g butter , softened
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 300 g porridge oats
- 150 g chocolate , chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line a baking tray or cookie sheet with baking parchment paper.
- Puree the cooked beetroot. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla and beetroot and beat well.
- Stir the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Add the dry to the wet and stir. Add the oats and chocolate and combine.
- Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto the baking tray and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until starting to brown. Allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
Looking for other vegetable dessert recipes using beetroot? Check out my beet vegetable desserts. From Slow Cooker Beetroot Chocolate Cake with Beet Vanilla Topping to Beet Nut Butter Cups!