This Lemon Cucumber Granita is easy to make and refreshing. In this sweet icy treat, the sharp lemon and cool cucumber pair beautifully.
This refreshing granita combines sharp lemons with the fresh flavour of cucumber.
Perfect for a hot summer's day, the icy crystals are bursting with flavour.
At once a grown-up slush puppy or a frozen salad, either way, it's sweet and tangy, cooling and tart.
With no need for an ice cream maker, all you have to do is blend the cucumber and add it to sugared water with lemon juice, then run a fork through it regularly as it freezes to break up the ice. It's simple, flavourful and delicious.
Tip: Any leftover cucumber puree is lovely stirred into sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon or added to a gin and tonic.
This recipe was created for my cookbook, Veggie Desserts + Cakes!
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's a healthy dairy free alternative to ice cream.
- This granita brings together the great flavor combination of cucumber and lemon.
- It's a hidden vegetable recipe.
- Cucumber granita is refreshing and tasty.
- Enjoy it as a palate cleanser or dessert.
- You only need 5 minutes prep time, plus freezing.
- This recipe takes just 3 simple ingredients.
- You can make granita from any fruit!
- Caster sugar (superfine)
- Lemon juice - try swapping for lime juice for a different flavor!
Would you believe that you can turn the humble cucumber into these incredible dessert recipes? Give them a try!
- Lemon and Cucumber Cake
- Lemon and Cucumber Cake with Gin Icing
- Cucumber and Lemon Cupcakes with Pimm’s Icing
- Mint Cucumber Cupcakes with Rose Frosting
- Lemon Cucumber Popsicles
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how this cucumber granita recipe turned out for you! Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
Cucumber Lemon Granita (Veggie Desserts Cookbook)
*Most of the prep time is waiting for the granita to cool and freeze.
- 500 ml water
- 250 g caster sugar (superfine)
- 300 g cucumber (approx 1 cucumber), unpeeled
- 250 ml lemon juice (approx 5 lemons)
- Put the water into the saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves completely, then remove from the heat and allow it to cool, which will take about 30 minutes.
- Cut the unpeeled cucumber in half lengthways. Run a teaspoon along the length to scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Cut the remaining cucumber into chunks and puree in a food processor or with a hand blender. Measure out 250ml/9fl ozof the cucumber and use the rest for something else (see tip above).
- Combine the cucumber puree and lemon juice and press through a fine-mesh strainer/sieve over a bowl to collect the juice. Add the cucumber lemon juice to the sugar syrup and stir.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow freezer container and freeze for 30 minutes, or until ice crystals form around the edges. Break up the ice crystals wiht a fork, then return to the freezer.
- Repeat every 30 minutes, 3-4 times until the granita is fluffy and completely made of ice crystals.
- Scrape into dishes to serve. If the granita becomes too firm before serving, allow it to soften in the fridge until you can scrape it again.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.