Puff pastry tartlets are a quick, easy and tasty dish. They're great to make with kids - with only 5 ingredients! I've cut the red peppers into hearts with a cookie cutter for Valentine's Day, but you could use any shape you like.
Puff pastry tartlets are such a fun and easy dinner/lunch/brunch/snack to make. They're endlessly customisable with whatever veg or filling you have to hand.
These red pepper and pesto tartlets need only 5 ingredients! I've cut the red peppers into hearts with a cookie cutter for Valentine's Day, but you could use any shape you like. Store bought puff pastry makes this super quick to whip up.
Ingredients for Easy Puff Pastry Tartlets
Ready rolled puff pastry sheets
Milk, for brushing
Make it vegan: choose vegan puff pastry sheets, dairy-free pesto and cheese and use nut milk for brushing.
Make it gluten free: look for gluten free puff pastry sheets.
How to make easy Pesto and Red Pepper Puff Pastry Tartlets - Step 1: Use a cookie cutter to cut the red pepper into shapes. Be sure to save the pepper scraps for a snack!
How to make Easy Pesto and Red Pepper Puff Pastry Tartlets: Step 2 - Cut out the pastry, spread with pesto, fold over the edges and top with the red pepper heart shapes.
Cooking with kids
I love getting my kids into the kitchen to help, but I have to admit that it can be slow and messy sometimes! So, it’s great to have some super-quick, easy and fun recipes for impromptu family baking.
We often turn to carrot cake protein balls and fluffy vegan pancakes, where we don’t need a recipe and just throw things together. We also like to decorate store-bought biscuits or spread apples with peanut butter. They’re simple things, but are such fun to do together.
Cooking with kids doesn’t have to take long and I like to take a few shortcuts sometimes. A stash of store bought pastry in the fridge means infinite possibilities for a fun quick baking session with the little ones.
For this puff pastry tartlet recipe I’ve called on ready rolled store-bought pastry. It saves a lot of the hassle of cooking with kids, but they still get to have loads of fun (and there’s less mess to clean up!).
Get the Easy Pesto and Red Pepper Puff Pastry Tartlets Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how this puff pastry tart recipe turned out for you! Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
to and Red Pepper Tartlets
- 1 package puff pastry ready rolled (375g/13oz)
- 8 tsp pesto
- Grated cheese (optional)
- 3 red bell peppers
- Milk for brushing
- Preheat oven to 190C / 375F. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment paper (or use the parchment from the pastry packet).
- Unroll the puff pastry and cut it in half lengthways. Then cut vertically to make eight squares.
- Brush the edge of each square with a little milk, then fold the edges over slightly to make a thin border.
- Spread the pesto into each square, then top with the cheese (if using).
- Using a small heart-shaped cutter, cut the red peppers into shapes and top each square with some red pepper hearts.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with a little milk, then bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.