This pumpkin mincemeat is perfect for Christmas and mince pies. I've added pumpkin along with the dried fruit and alcohol to make a wonderful spiced treat.
Mincemeat is not actually meat! It's a mix of dried fruit and alcohol (usually rum, brandy or whiskey), that's popular in baked goods in Britain at Christmas.
It's the filling for mince pies.
Mincemeat is so simple to make that it's really a crime how often I leave it to others. Thanks Mum and the good ladies of the local Women's Institute!
However, this year I got back into the mincemeat saddle and started to think vegetables for my mince pies this year.
Carrot? Maybe. Parsnip? Perhaps.
Sprouts? No chance.
Mincemeat makes a lovely gift at Christmas, so go wild with the pretty jars and ribbon.
You could also bake it into mince pies with beetroot pastry to get a festive colour!
You can let this nice drunken mincemeat mature for two weeks before wowing guests with the pumpkin surprise.
But if you're a bit last minute (who, me?) don't worry if you need to use it right away - it's still lovely.
Get the recipe for Pumpkin Mincemeat
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
- 200 g raisins
- 200 g currants
- 200 g sultanas
- 200 g vegetarian suet or standard suet
- 150 g soft dark brown sugar
- 100 g candied mixed peel
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- zest and juice ½ a lemon
- 1 cooking apple peeled and grated
- 6 tablespoons pumpkin puree steam fresh pumpkin or squash and then puree, or else use tinned
- 100 ml brandy
- Add all ingredients, except the brandy, to a bowl in the order listed and mix well between each addition. Stir in the brandy and mix well.
- Pour into sterilised jars (the easiest way is to run them through the dishwasher). Allow to mature for two weeks before using, stored in a cool dry place. Will keep for up to six months.