These vegan pumpkin tarts are easy to make and a silky smooth treat in a delicately spiced chai hazelnut crust.
vegan pumpkin tarts
Pumpkin pie is an American classic. It's starting to get more popular here and tins of Libby's pumpkin puree are becoming more and more common in the supermarkets.
Rich, concentrated pumpkin puree is fantastic livened up with autumnal spices.
In these vegan tarts, pumpkin makes a delicious filling to a simple nut-based crust filled with warming chai spices.
These tarts are super quick and easy to make and taste divine!
lightening up pumpkin pie
The traditional pumpkin pie recipe calls for heavy ingredients like evaporated milk, but I thought I'd make mine healthier and vegan.
This protein-packed dessert is really quick to make in a high-speed blender, but you can also try it in a standard blender or food processor.
You just have to whiz each part up and assemble.
No baking, no cooking.
If you don't have time to refrigerate it to firm up slightly (takes about 30 minutes), you could just line the muffin cups with paper liners and eat them right away.
I spiced up the hazelnut crust with chai spices - cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper...
It tastes warming next to the earthy, lightly-spiced custardy pumpkin filling.
A healthier take on pumpkin pie with loads more flavour.
Looking for more tasty pumpkin recipes? Try these!
get the pumpkin tarts with chai hazelnut crust recipe
Did you make this pumpkin tart recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Pumpkin Tarts with Chai Hazelnut Crust (vegan)
For the crust
- 2 cups (250g) raw unsalted hazelnuts
- 2 cups (200g) pitted dates
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2 cardamom pods ground in a pestle and mortar and shells discarded
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
For the filling
- 1 x 425g / 15oz canned pumpkin pumpkin puree, not pre-sugared pie filling
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- ¾ cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of salt
For the crust
- Blitz all ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender until crumbly and sticks together when pressed. Press firmly into the cups of a tart tin or muffin tin. Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
For the filling:
- Blitz all pie filling ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth (you can use a standard blender but it will take a little longer). Pour the filling into the tart crusts, chill in the fridge until ready to serve.