This super-tasty vegan chickpea curry is easy, healthy and absolutely delicious! The tasty curry sauce is so easy to make and takes just 20 minutes in one pot. Perfect for a midweek meal. Coconut-free. 115 calories per generous portion. Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free.
I have so many recipes that I make all the time but somehow haven't gotten round to blogging yet. This is one of them!
Ready in just 20 minutes.
I've made this easy Chickpea Curry countless times, tweaking the spices and method over time until I found my perfect version.
This is it! I hope you love it too.
It's super quick and easy, uses ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard and it's full of flavour and a wonderful texture.
I love it for a quick weekday dinner that the whole family loves and it can be prepared easily.
I always make a double batch to stash some in the freezer, and it's often on my meal prep list and meal plan.
Be sure to save the chickpea water from the can (aquafaba) for other aquafaba recipes.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "So delish. My go-to curry now." Jayne via Pinterest
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "I am loving how delicious and easy this recipe was with those yummy chickpeas. Easiest recipe ever!" - Heidy
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "I made this for dinner yesterday evening and it was delicious. Definitely one to do again." - Debbi
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "Great recipe so simple but full of flavour wonderful. Not sure how I managed before your recipes." - Ann
Why you'll love this recipe
I hope that you'll love this chickpea curry as much as we do. This curry is:
Ready in just 20 minutes.
Full of great curry flavors.
Uses 6 aromatic spices that you probably already have in your cupboard.
With protein, fibre, vitamins and nutrients, chickpeas are healthy little legumes!
Tips and tricks
Don't rush the onions. Make sure that they're nice and soft before moving on to the next step. They'll add far more flavour if you're patient and cook them for at least 5 minutes.
Which canned tomatoes to use? Any will work: plum, whole peeled, crushed, chopped, diced, stewed. Just be sure it's the smaller 400g/150z size can.
Prefer a mild curry recipe? Just leave out the cayenne.
Wondering what chickpeas are? They're also called garbanzo beans.
Don't have all the spices to hand? Use 3 teaspoons of Garam Masala.
Make it even faster using frozen chopped garlic and frozen chopped onions (store bought or freeze your own when you have extra).
Want it spicy? Add more cayenne!
Get extra green goodness by serving it with wilted spinach or kale or stir it in at the end so the greens are in the curry.
Make it vegan? this curry recipe is naturally vegan and vegetarian.
Want a gluten-free curry? This one is!
It's also egg-free.
This is a low calorie curry, with just 115 calories.
Storage and Freezing
This curry freezes well for up to 3 months.
Keep this chickpea curry in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Step by step tutorial
This vegan Indian recipe is really easy.
Anyone can make it so it's perfect for students, unconfident cooks and absolutely everyone else.
To make it even easier, I've broken down the steps here in this tutorial so you can be sure of success!
Fry the onions in oil until soft and translucent but not browned.
Add the spices.
Stir well and cook for one minute.
Add the drained chickpeas and canned tomatoes and stir well.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Enjoy! It's also great with a handful of spinach stirred in in the final few minutes.
Scroll down for the full ingredients and method in the recipe card.
Make this garbanzo bean curry into a full Indian meal with these side dishes.
- Chickpea Curry
- Turmeric Rice (vegan, 6 ingredients, 20 minutes)
- Baked Vegetable Pakora (vegan, 6 ingredients, 25 minutes)
- Naan (vegetarian or vegan, 4 ingredients, 15 minutes)
- Try this easy side dish: Bombay Potatoes (vegan, 20 minutes)
Get the recipe
Did you make this vegan garbanzo bean curry recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 4 whole dried cloves
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- Pinch of salt
- 1 14oz (400g) can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) drained
- 1 14 oz (400g) can chopped tomatoes (or whole peeled, plum or crushed tomatoes)
- ½ cup (100ml) vegetable stock/broth
- handful chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
- In a large saute or frying pan, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, then add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, cloves, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cayenne, then cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the drained chickpeas, canned tomatoes and the vegetable stock/broth. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped fresh coriander/cilantro. I like it with steamed kale and rice or naan bread.
- Don't have all the spices? Just add 3 teaspoon Garam Masala instead.
- Don't rush the onions. Make sure that they're nice and soft before moving on to the next step. They'll add far more flavour if you're patient and cook them for at least 5 minutes.
- This curry freezes well for up to 3 months.
- Keep this chickpea curry in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Which canned tomatoes to use? Any will work: plum, whole peeled, crushed, chopped, diced, stewed. Just be sure it's the smaller 400g/150z size can.
- Make it vegan? this curry recipe is naturally vegan and vegetarian.
- Prefer a mild curry recipe? Just leave out the cayenne.
- Want it spicy? Add more cayenne!
- Get extra green goodness by serving it with wilted spinach or kale or stir it in at the end so the greens are in the curry.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
What other beans could you substitute for the chick peas?
Hi, kidney beans, butter beans, cannellini or Great North beans would all be great swaps!
I absolutely love this recipe! I make it so often as a super-quick & tasty weeknight meal, especially when I just want a break from heavy meaty dishes in the week. I add spinach in at the end and it's delightful, thank you!
That looks super tasty Kate. I really veed to try this one. Even my son would enjoy it.
Izzy bell Sanderson
This dish is completely the best curry I’ve ever I had I would recommend this to any person doesn’t matter if they not vegan it’s absolutely 10/10 dish
Easy and delicious!!
Love making this recipe. So easy to make, tasty and filling.
This was so easy to make and tastes fantastic. Also great the next day!
It’s now a favourite along with the vegan naan (from this website).
Thank you for the recipe. I made it last night pretty quickly and hardly needed to buy anything to add to my store cupboard. I made cauliflower rice to have with it and also the pakoras which were in the link in the recipe. All a huge success and I will make it again.
great so tasty some things i would never add to curry like cloves and cinnamon but makes it amazing
Been trying to find a curry flavour that my little boy will like and found this!......
Having it for dinner tonight, before his busy night at Beavers, so fingers crossed.......
This is the perfect dinner for the cold weather. Plus it's so nutritious.
Chickpea curry with fresh white rice has to be one of my favorite meals in the colder months. Thanks for such an amazing recipe!!
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes)
I want this curry right now! And I love how easily this can be made. Chickpeas are my fave!
Lisa | Garlic & Zest
The layers of flavor that you've built into this curry are making my mouth water. Great meatless Monday dinner and easy weekday meal.
I absolutely love the flavors and simplicity of this recipe. It's perfect family dinner. Thanks for sharing and for instructions.
Oh coming from India this makes me so happy seeing this!! Loved the recipe - really yummy and easy.
Thanks for the tasty recipe, I am always on the lookout for healthy and quick weeknight meals!
Oooo yes this was so good and quick! This is why chickpeas are one of the best alternatives to meat (:
I love chickpeas but had never made a curry with them. It was so yummy!
I am loving how delicious and easy this recipe was with those yummy chickpeas. Easiest recipe ever!
Delicious for sure! Thank you for the recipe, it was super easy and tasted great!
Lovely recipe. I love this chickpea curry. It was delicious.
I made this for dinner yesterday evening and it was delicious. Definitely one to do again.
Great recipe so simple but full of flavour wonderful.
Not sure how I managed before your recipes.
Thank you so much Ann x
Aw, what a lovely comment, Ann. I hope you enjoy more of my recipes!
This is great! I love getting chickpea curries from Indian restaurant but it was easy enough to make at home.
Great recipe. I love eating indian food, but I almost never make it. So happy to find such an easy recipe!