This delicious Tofu Curry recipe is ready in just 20 minutes with 10 ingredients! It's a flavorful curry sauce, full of Indian spices and cubes of crispy fried tofu, with spinach. Get the vegetarian, vegan and gluten free curry recipe now.
Today I'm at last bringing you the recipe for my Tofu Curry.
This is a vegan curry that I've been cooking for years and I absolutely adore.
If you think you don't like tofu, or that it's bland, then you must try it in this tofu curry.
Tofu can be bland (if it's not cooked right), but it just needs to be paired with a flavourful sauce.
In this case, the rich curry sauce provides a beautiful blanket to coat the tofu and give it a bit of pizzazz.
On the other hand, if you think you don't like tofu because of its texture, then follow my recipe because I show you how to make it beautifully crispy before folding it into the tasty sauce.
Now if you're already a fan of tofu (like me!), then you're going to love this super quick and easy vegan curry recipe.
Flavour, speed and deliciousness, all in one dish.
You'll also love these other tofu recipes:
Why you'll love this recipe
Ready in just 20 minutes.
Full of flavor.
A tasty way to enjoy protein packed tofu.
Versatile - add in any veggies that you need to use up!
It's a curry without coconut milk.
Quick and easy
Not too many spices to buy (just cumin, turmeric, cayenne and garam masala).
Adjust the spiciness to your liking.
This curry is vegan, vegetarian, egg-free, dairy-free and gluten-free.
How to make this recipe
You just need to follow two simple steps for this tofu curry recipe.
First, coat the tofu in cornflour and pan fry it. The cornflour dries out the tofu so it gets nice and crispy in the pan.
Next, make the vegan curry sauce by frying the onions until soft, stir in the spices, then add the tomatoes and water and simmer.
Stir in the spinach and tofu in at the end and serve!
Here is a step by step tutorial, then scroll down for the full recipe.
Pat the firm tofu dry in a tea towel, then cut it into cubes. Toss the cubes in the cornflour
Note: This helps to absorb more of the moisture so it gets lovely and crispy.
Heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the tofu and cook on all sides until golden. Set aside.
I usually start this part while the tofu is cooking. Heat the oil in a larger pan and cook the onions for about 5 minutes until soft. Stir in the spices and cook for a further minute.
Add the can of chopped or crushed tomatoes (or plum tomatoes and bash them up a bit with the wooden spoon), and the water.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the spinach to wilt, then gently stir in the fried tofu. Season with salt and pepper, then serve with rice, naan etc..
Note: the tofu will lose its crispiness the longer it's in the curry, so add it just before serving.
If you like this tofu curry recipe, you'll also love:
Easy naan bread
Cauliflower Leaf Curry
Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower
Vegan Butter Chicken (cauliflower)
Paneer Butter Masala
Rajma Masala (Kidney Bean Curry)
Make it a full meal with these vegan Indian recipes!
Turmeric Rice (vegan, 6 ingredients, 20 minutes)
Baked Vegetable Pakora (vegan, 6 ingredients, 25 minutes)
Naan (vegetarian or vegan, 4 ingredients, 15 minutes)
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.
- 7 oz (200g) firm tofu, (drained weight)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour / cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil divided
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- 15 oz (400g) can chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup (100ml) water
- 2 handfuls spinach
- Drain the tofu and pat dry with a tea towel to remove excess moisture. Cut into bite sized cubes. Add the cornstarch/cornflour to a small bowl along with salt and pepper. Gently toss the tofu in the bowl to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan and fry the tofu, tossing often, for a few minutes until golden on all sides. The cornflour/cornstarch absorbs moisture and gets the tofu nice and crispy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft but not browned.
- Add the garlic, cumin, garam masala, turmeric and cayenne and cook for a further minute, stirring.
- Stir in the tomatoes and water, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper, and add more cayenne if you want it hotter.
- Stir in the spinach to wilt, then gently stir in the fried tofu (or to keep the tofu really crispy, just set it on the top). Serve with rice, naan etc..
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.