Make these roasted potato peelings with scraps! Instead of throwing out the peels, just stick them into the oven and you'll have lovely homemade crisps/chips. They're a great way to reduce food waste.
Roasted Potato Peelings
If you’re peeling potatoes, then don’t throw away the skins. Just wash them well first and roast the peelings.
They turn crispy and golden and are such an easy snack to make.
Avoid any green parts and roast them with oil and your favourite herbs or spices.
Organic would be best here, if you can, but not strictly necessary. I know that a lot of people are put off buying organic because it is slightly more expensive, but I always feel that you can afford to buy organic if you make the most of all edible parts of the plant.
By turning the skins into these roasted potato peelings you get an extra snack out of them.
If you buy an organic cauliflower and use the leaves in a cauliflower leaf miso soba soup or cauliflower leaf sweet potato curry, then it goes further as well. Plus, you don't get a nasty cocktail of chemicals on the produce. Win win.
These roasted potato peelings are infused with garlic and rosemary to make them fragrant and delicious.
The skins turn crispy and get a nice texture between the thinner and thicker peelings.
Some bits are brittle and crunchy, while the thicker parts are softer and slightly chewy.
Once you try these, I promise that your potato peelings will never hit the compost bin again. They're easy, yummy and help to reduce food waste!
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes, vegan cake and also easy vegan desserts.
Get the recipe
Roasted Potato Peelings with Rosemary and Sea Salt
- 2 large handfuls of organic potato peelings wash potatoes well before peeling
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- ½ tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons rosemary finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
- Place the washed potato peelings and garlic cloves into a medium bowl, and drizzle with the oil. Sprinkle with the rosemary and sea salt then toss to coat. Spread the potato skins and garlic onto a baking tray in a single layer.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until golden and crispy. Check the cooking time as it will depend on the thickness of the potato peelings. Serve hot.