Stuffed mushrooms only take minutes to prep and make a tasty party food or appetizer! The creamy filling is full of fresh herbs and garlic, perfect with the soft baked mushrooms. You can even prep them ahead, freeze them and then bake! Vegetarian, vegan and/or gluten free.
delicious stuffed mushroom recipe
Stuffed mushrooms only take a few minutes to prep and make a tasty party food or appetizer! You're going to LOVE them.
The dreamy, creamy filling is filled with fresh herbs and garlic, which work beautifully with the soft, baked mushrooms.
Another bonus? You can prep them ahead, freeze them and then bake before serving!
They're also vegetarian and can easily be made vegan and/or gluten-free.
why you'll love these stuffed mushrooms
This stuffed mushroom recipe makes a flavorful side dish or appetizer.
They're easy to make, and you can make them a day ahead for easy party prep.
Whenever I serve them at a party, they disappear quickly! Like, sooooo quickly. I'm always requested to bring them to a party, potluck or cookout.
They're an easy hot appetizer for low stress entertaining. Just assemble, then pop them into the oven before serving.
easy stuffed mushrooms
This recipe is sooo easy. Just mix up the filling and stuff it into small mushrooms, with their stems/stalks removed (you can chop the stems up for the filling).
Then spoon it into the mushrooms and bake!
Voila - an absolutely delish party food that will impress your guests.
ingredients for herb garlic stuffed mushrooms
For this recipe, you will need:
Mushrooms - for appetizers, use small mushrooms. Not tiny button ones, but the usual small size that can be eaten in one or two bites.
Fresh herbs - use what you like: try parsley, cilantro, sage, thyme etc.. or a mixture
Breadcrumbs (use gluten free if required)
Cream cheese (vegan cream cheese works too)
storage, freezing and prep tips
- You can prep this appetizer ahead of time. Just fill the mushrooms, then keep in the fridge for up to two days. Cook before serving.
- To save storage room in the fridge, you don't have to store them in one layer on a big plate. Instead I usually layer them with a piece of baking paper between them so they don't stick.
- Uncooked stuffed mushrooms are freezer friendly. See below for freezing instructions.
- How long do stuffed mushrooms last in the fridge? They will last, uncooked, 3-5 days.
can you freeze stuffed mushrooms?
Yes! You can prep them, stuff the mushrooms and then freeze before cooking them.
Freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet, then when they're solid, transfer them to a dish or bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
stuffed mushrooms for the holidays
I also love to serve them for Thanksgiving or Christmas as super tasty appetizers.
The stuffed mushrooms have a wonderful flavor in the creamy filling, and the mushrooms get wonderfully juicy. I mean, what more do you want?!
For holidays, I like to swap the herbs to fresh sage for a festive taste. You could even add a dried cranberry on top for sweet festive flavor.
These stuffed mushrooms will definitely be a hit at your next party! They're vegetarian and easily vegan and/or gluten free.
vegan stuffed mushrooms
It's easy to make this mushroom appetizer vegan. You just need to use vegan cream cheese!
You can find it in most grocery stores in the dairy free aisle. Try making your own.
gluten free stuffed mushrooms
This dish is easily gluten-free. You just need to swap the breadcrumbs.
Whiz up a few slices of gluten-free bread in a blender or food processor to make the breadcrumbs, or buy store bought gluten free breadcrumbs.
You could also whiz up gluten free rice cakes into 'breadcrumbs' too.
They're perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Try them with Parmentier Potatoes too!
how to make stuffed mushrooms
These mushrooms, filled with garlic, herbs, cheese (can be dairy free) and breadcrumbs (can be gluten free) are so easy to make!
Scroll down for the full recipe in the stuffed mushroom recipe card.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them finely.
2. Fry the chopped mushrooms stems in a little oil for a few minutes until they soften and release their moisture.
3. Add the garlic and fry for another minute. Allow the mixture to cool.
4. Then add the mushroom mixture to a bowl with the cream cheese (or vegan cream cheese), herbs and breadcrumbs. Give it all a really good mix.
The mixture will be thick.
5. Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps.
6. Place them onto a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until soft and they release their juices. Enjoy!
get the herb and garlic stuffed mushroom recipe
Did you make this easy stuffed mushroom recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Herb and Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 lb (450g) mushrooms (I used chestnut. Button are too small, but choose another small-ish variety)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 oz (150g) cream cheese, softened dairy free cream cheese for vegan
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme etc...) use your favourites
- 1 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp each, salt and pepper
- chopped fresh herbs
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Clean the mushrooms and remove the stems. Place the mushroom caps on a lightly greased baking sheet. Chop the stems finely.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and sautee the chopped mushroom stems for about 4 minutes until they release their moisture. Add the garlic and sautee for a further minute. Transfer to large bowl and allow to cool.
- When the mushroom mixture is cool, add the cream cheese, breadcrumbs, herbs and salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Spoon heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture into the mushroom caps. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until hot and the mushrooms release their juices slightly onto the tray.
- Serve topped with more chopped fresh herbs.