This easy Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup recipe uses plant-based chicken and a mock chicken seasoning for a vegan and vegetarian take on chicken noodle soup. Ready in 30 minutes, this comfort classic is flavorful and hearty just like the original, but it's completely meat-free!
You're going to love this quick and easy vegan chicken noodle soup. It takes less than 30 minutes for a bowl of warming comfort food.
I wasn't sure what to call this recipe. I hate using the word chicken, but I wanted you to really get an idea of what it is. You could call it vegan noodle soup, no-chicken noodle soup, or chick'n noodle soup.
Whatever you call this soup, it's got vegetables, a rich broth, chunks of soy curls and pasta noodles.
If you've been missing noodle soup since going vegan or vegetarian, then you're going to love this recipe!
Chicken noodle soup is a classic dish all around the world. Some even say that it has special healing powers for colds or even just to make you feel better.
There’s nothing like a warm comforting bowl on a cold day when you’re not feeling good or even when you are!
Vegans and vegetarians can enjoy this plant-based version of the classic soup right at home using simple ingredients.
The secret is to use vegan chicken which can be found in most health food stores.
This helps give the texture and protein of the soup that is similar to chicken.
The broth is flavored with vegan chicken seasoning that tastes just like the real thing!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup is a bowl of comfort that will warm up your soul any time of the year.
A great option to have on hand during cold and flu season.
You can customize the source of vegan chicken in many different ways. Try soy curls, quorn, tofu, chickpeas, or jackfruit.
It can be made with storebought vegetable broth or a homemade vegan chicken broth which tastes just like the real thing.
It’s a classic dish that will bring you right back to your childhood memories.
I used linguine in this dish but you can change up the noodles to whichever ones you enjoy.
Ingredients & Tools
- Carrots, Celery & Onion - This mirepoix of vegetables is the aromatic starter for many soups including chicken soup.
- Vegan Chicken Broth - The vegan broth adds flavor and depth that a normal chicken soup would with the help of Vegan Chicken Seasoning. You can also use store-bought vegetable broth. Also, some store-bought chicken broth is actually vegan!
- Vegan “Chicken” Chunks - There are many substitutes for chicken that are vegan. See the list below to choose your favorites. Make sure that the chicken chunks are chopped small for the soup.
- Dried Thyme - Adds a classic herb flavor to the soup.
- Noodles - Linguine great pasta to use in chicken soup because it’s thick and stays sturdy. Break them in half before cooking so they aren't too long in the finished vegan noodle soup.
- Pepper - Helps enhance and balance the flavors in the dish.
Step By Step Tutorial
Follow this step-by-step photo tutorial, then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and method.
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
Stir in the vegetable stock, water, vegan ‘chicken’ chunks, and thyme and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the linguine and simmer for 10 minutes or until the noodles are cooked but not mushy.
Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot.
This soup will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days without the noodles getting too mushy. If you’re going to store it for longer, store the noodles and soup separately and combine before heating.
This vegan chicken noodle soup will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days without the noodles getting too mushy. If you’re going to store it for longer, cook the noodles separately and store them separately from the soup.
Use a vegetarian or vegan chicken product that doesn’t require any cooking or roasting beforehand to save time.
Always check your pasta ingredients to make sure they don’t contain any egg or milk to make sure this recipe stays 100% vegan. Usually, dried pasta is vegan, while chilled pasta often contains eggs. Check the label. Also, be sure to check out my Vegan Grocery Shopping List.
Enjoy this noodle soup as a lunch or dinner.
It's tasty with a piece of 15 minute Naan Bread slathered in vegan butter. Make the naan with vegan yogurt.
Increase your immunity by serving with a glass of Cranberry Beet Smoothie.
Vegan Chicken Substitutes
There are so many ways to get the flavor and texture of chicken while completely staying vegan. Try out these vegan chicken substitutes in your soup. Find out more about vegan chicken substitutes.
- Tofu marinated and baked in Vegan Chicken Broth Seasoning.
- Quorn (mycoprotein)
- Soy curls
- Textured vegetable protein or Seitan.
- Cubed and roasted tempeh.
- Tofurky slow-roasted Chick’n
- White Beans
- Gardein Chick’n Scallopini
Storing: Store the soup and pasta separately in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Freezing: Store cooked and cooled soup in a freezer-safe container without the pasta. When ready to serve, thaw the soup in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a pot over medium heat or in the microwave in single servings and add cooked pasta noodles.
This depends on which brand of vegan chicken you purchase. Some are made with tofu while others are made of textured vegetable protein or a mix of both.
While vegan chicken is technically a processed food, it is considered healthy to those who are following a vegan lifestyle.
More Comforting Soup Recipes
We hope that you love this delicious vegan chicken noodle soup recipe. Be sure to check out these other great soup recipes too!
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegan "chicken" broth (1 litre) or vegetable broth (store bought or make it with my vegan chicken seasoning)
- 2 cups water (450ml)
- 2 cups vegan "chicken" chucks chopped small*
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 10 ounces linguine (285g) broken in half for smaller pieces (check that it’s vegan)
- Pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Add the vegetable stock, water, vegan ‘chicken’ chunks and thyme and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the linguine and simmer for 10 minutes or until the noodles are cooked but not mushy.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- This soup will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days without the noodles getting too mushy. If you’re going to store it for longer, store the noodles and soup separately and combine before heating.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.