Pan fried gnocchi turns the Italian potato dumplings into crispy, delicate morsels of deliciousness. They're so easy to make with 2 ingredients in just 7 minutes! I've topped them with creamy garlic mushrooms for a very quick and easy midweek meal.
Pan fried gnocchi
I absolutely love gnocchi - the little potato dumplings are a wonderful vehicle for pasta sauce, pesto, and roasted veggies.
But you know what's even better, no WAY BETTER? Pan fried gnocchi!
Pan frying the cooked gnocchi in butter in a hot frying pan makes it take on a delicate outer crust, that perfectly complements the soft, fluffy interior.
It's carb heaven.
How to make fried gnocchi
You only need 2 ingredients to make fried gnocchi: gnocchi and butter.
But I like to keep some store-bought gnocchi on hand in the pantry for super-quick meals.
You could also make them with cooking oil, coconut oil or even low calorie spray oil.
Simply cook the gnocchi for 2 minutes in boiling water, drain, then cook in a frying pan with butter until it's crispy and lightly browned.
Don't want to mess up a second pan?
You could even fry the gnocchi straight from the package. I've done that often and although I prefer the taste when I pre-boil the gnocchi, it still works skipping that step!
You just need 2 ingredients and 7 minutes for fried gnocchi.
Ways to eat pan fried gnocchi
There are loads of ways to eat pan fried gnocchi. I may, on occasion, eat them hot straight from the pan. But open your mind and they make a great quick snack, side dish, or carb for the main meal.
1. Instead of chips/fries with ketchup
2. Topped with pesto or any other pasta sauce
3. As an hors d'oeuvre with various toppings such as sour cream and chives.
4. As a simple lunchbox filler for kids
5. On skewers with dipping sauce
6. Leave them unboiled, thread onto skewers and cook on the barbecue
Creamy Garlic Mushrooms with Thyme
The creamy garlic mushroom sauce is a great topping for the pan fried gnocchi.
The mushrooms and garlic cook in just a few minutes, with a little salt and pepper and a few sprigs of fresh thyme.
Then stir in a little cream (or non-dairy cream) and it makes a wonderful sauce.
It's so easy and bursting with flavour.
The mushrooms add a dense and 'meaty' texture to the vegetarian gnocchi dish, with the creamy garlic sauce.
Looking for more tasty mushroom recipes? Try these delicious vegetarian and vegan recipes using mushrooms.
Get the recipe for Pan Fried Gnocchi with Garlic Mushrooms
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how this fried gnocchi recipe turned out for you! Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
Pan Fried Gnocchi with Creamy Garlic Mushrooms and Thyme
- 500 g (2 cups) gnocchi (1 x 15 oz packet of premade gnocchi)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 400 g (2 cups) mixed mushrooms chestnut, button, portobello, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp cream (or dairy-free cream)
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the gnocchi in a large pan of boiling water, according to package instructions (usually 2 minutes), then drain well.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan, add the cooked gnocchi and fry for a few minutes, turning often, until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan or frying pan over a medium/low heat, then add the mushrooms, garlic and thyme and cook until soft and the mushrooms have released their juices. Add the cream and stir to combine.
- Divide the gnocchi between four plates and serve topped with the mushroom sauce.