This beetroot chocolate shake is creamy, rich and healthy! I've used banana to sweeten and thicken it, plus a beetroot to give it a subtle earthy flavour and a bit of veg goodness.
I've been hitting the blender pretty hard lately, making green smoothies most days and binging on kale and spinach. But sometimes you just need a healthy hit of sweetness that can be made in seconds. Enter the 'milk'shake. I've added beetroot for the vegetable in this recipe as it goes so well with chocolate, and, well, this is me. No matter what I'm making, even a shake, my first thought is about what veg I can put into it.
If your banana is really ripe you shouldn't need to add any honey or agave nectar, and I made this one vegan with coconut milk, but try it with whatever type of milk you prefer.
A portion of veg in a chocolate shake. Oh, baby.
Beetroot Chocolate Shake
- 1 beetroot raw or cooked
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk or cow’s, almond, soya - whichever you prefer
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- handful of ice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup optional (or honey or agave)
- Whiz the beetroot and milk in a blender until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and blitz again until smooth and frothy.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.