A Sweet Potato Latte is a popular caffeine-free Korean drink that is made with cooked sweet potato, milk, sweetener, and warming spices. It is wonderfully rich and creamy, lightly spiced, and absolutely delicious!
A sweet potato latte is a healthy and delicious alternative to a regular latte. Plus, it's caffeine-free and tastes incredible!
It is made with blended sweet potato, milk, and spices, plus a little sweetener such as sugar or maple syrup.
It is a warming and comforting hug-in-a-mug! Plus, it's a great way to get a dose of vitamins and minerals from the sweet potato.
This popular Korean drink might sound unusual, but it's a super tasty, drink recipe and a great alternative to coffee.
Be sure to also check out the recipes for Gingerbread Latte, Coffee Milk, Coffee Bloody Mary, Homemade Strawberry Milk, Coquito - Puerto Rican Eggnog, and Strawberry Iced Tea!
This sweet potato latte recipe was originally posted on February 24, 2014, and republished with new images, text and updated recipe on January 31, 2023.
Korean Sweet Potato Latte
You're probably wondering just what the heck this recipe is all about!
The Sweet Potato Latte (Goguma Latte) has been popular in South Korea since the late 1990s.
It was created by a cafe in Seoul and has since become a popular beverage in Korean cafes, restaurants, and food trucks.
Long before I became a food blogger, I went on a work trip to Seoul, and I fell in love with the sweet potato latte. It's so rich and creamy, with a sweet yet earthy flavor. It's unlike any other drink.
It is made with sweet potato puree, milk, and sugar, or other sweeteners. It is often topped with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
This latte is believed to have health benefits such as providing energy, aiding in digestion, and helping to reduce inflammation. It has become a popular choice for those looking for a sweet and creamy beverage.
Although it sounds very unusual, I hope you'll give it a try and that you'll love it as much as I do!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Sweet Potato Latte is rich, creamy, thick, and full of flavor.
- It's ready in minutes.
- You only need 6 ingredients.
- You can easily make it vegan.
- The warming cinnamon gives the latte a unique and delicious taste.
- It's a great way to get your daily dose of vitamin A.
- This recipe is a great way to warm up on a cold day.
- You can enjoy the flavors of South Korea without leaving your home.
- This recipe is a perfect way to use up leftover sweet potatoes.
- It's a great way to enjoy a caffeine-free alternative to coffee.
- This latte is a great way to enjoy the health benefits of sweet potatoes.
- It's a great way to enjoy a delicious and creamy beverage.
You only need simple ingredients for this tasty sweet potato latte recipe!
- Sweet Potatoes - You'll need cooked sweet potatoes that are pureed. I prefer roasted sweet potatoes as the flavors are concentrated, but you can also microwave, steam or boil your sweet potato before pureeing. You can even make it extra special with a purple sweet potato!
- Milk - I use regular whole milk, but you can swap to 2% or a dairy free milk such as soy or almond milk.
- Sweetener - you can use maple syrup, honey, stevia, agave or sugar.
- Vanilla - I love how pure vanilla extract adds lots of rich sweetness to this drink recipe.
- Cinnamon - a little ground cinnamon adds a lovely warming flavor.
Follow this step-by-step photo tutorial, then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and method.
Roast, air fry, steam, or boil the sweet potato until soft.
Peel the sweet potato, cut it into cubes and:
Roast: Drizzle with a little oil and roast on a baking sheet and roast at 400°F/200°C for 25-30 minutes.
Air Fry: Place into an air fryer basket, spray with a little oil, and cook at 400°F/200°C for 10-15 minutes, tossing occasionally, or until soft.
Steam: Place cubed sweet potato into a steamer over a pan of boiling water, add a lid, and steam for 8-10 minutes or until soft.
Boil: Place cubes of sweet potato into a large pot of boiling water and boil for 8 minutes or until soft. Drain well.
Puree the cooked sweet potato in a blender or with a hand-held immersion blender. You should have about ½ cup of sweet potato puree.
Add the sweet potato puree and all remaining ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour the mixture into a pot and heat over medium/low heat for a few minutes, stirring often, until warmed through.
Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon. If desired, add a little frothed milk.
Sweet Potato Desserts
I hope you'll love this sweet potato latte. Sweet potatoes work fabulously in many sweet recipes. Try these tasty desserts!
- Maple Parsnip Cake with Sweet Potato Frosting
- Sweet Potato Cookies
- Ginger Sweet Potato Balls
- Sweet Potato Muffins with Chocolate Chips
- Sweet Potato Pudding
Did you make this sweet potato latte recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Follow me on Instagram * Twitter * Facebook * Pinterest * Youtube
Sweet Potato Latte
- Blender or immersion blender
- 1 sweet potato approx 200g/7oz
- 2 cups (480ml) milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup or honey, sugar or agave.
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- small pinch ground cinnamon
- Roast, air fry, steam, or boil the sweet potato until soft.
- Peel the sweet potato, cut it into cubes and:Roast: Drizzle with a little oil and roast on a baking sheet and roast at 400°F/200°C for 25-30 minutes.Air Fry: Place into an air fryer basket, spray with a little oil and cook at 400°F/200°C for 10-15 minutes, tossing occassionally, or until soft.Steam: Place cubed sweet potato into a steamer over a pan of boiling water, add a lid and steam for 8-10 minutes or until soft.Boil: Place cubes of sweet potato into a large pot of boiling water and boil for 8 minutes or until soft. Drain well.
- Puree the cooked sweet potato in a blender or with a hand-held immersion blender. You should have about ½ cup of sweet potato puree.
- Add the sweet potato puree and all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a pot and heat over medium/low heat for a few minutes, stirring often, until warmed through.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon. If desired, add a little frothed milk.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
Easy and delicious, this one is a keeper. I know I’m going to make it over and over again!
Thanks for the recipe! It is such a unique take on a latte and I really liked it. It was a very random way to use up leftover sweet potatoes but I'm glad I tried it and I'll definitely make it again soon!
Mmm! This was delicious! The spice on top really makes it. Thanks a lot!
This was so delicious! I had a roasted sweet potato in the fridge and I threw everything in the blender on the soup setting. Quick and easy to make. I'll definitely make it again.
I made it with purple sweet potatoes and it awas incredible!!
Oh that was so good! I had one at a restaurant and this tasted just like it!!
Kate Veggie Desserts
So surprisingly amazingly delicious. I love it. Probably nice with a wee shot of rum, too!