You're going to love these moist and fluffy Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Muffins! They're quick and easy to make, and are perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert.
Craving something sweet but not overly sugary? Look no further than these Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Muffins. As a fan of homemade treats that strike the perfect balance between decadence and wholesomeness, this recipe is one of my go-tos. The combination of creamy peanut butter, ripe bananas, and rich chocolate chips creates a real crowd-pleaser of a muffin recipe!
My kids go pretty wild for these muffins. They're massive fans of the combo of pb and chocolate (go Reece's peanut butter cups!). So they always devour these muffins.
They make a great after school snack, portable breakfast on-the-go, or a not so sweet dessert.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy to prepare, perfect for busy mornings or spontaneous cravings.
- Offers a healthier twist with the addition of bananas for natural sweetness and moisture.
- Versatile recipe—great for breakfast, snacks, or dessert.
- The irresistible blend of chocolate and peanut butter satisfies both kids and adults alike. Like a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup in a muffin!
You only need simple pantry ingredients for this muffin recipe! Check out the list below.
- All-purpose flour: Provides the base for the muffins, giving them structure and texture.
- Granulated sugar: Adds sweetness to the muffins.
- Light brown sugar: Enhances the moistness and flavor with its caramel notes.
- Baking powder: Acts as a leavening agent, helping the muffins rise.
- Baking soda: Helps the muffins expand and achieve a light, airy texture.
- Salt: Balances the sweetness and enhances the flavors.
- Creamy peanut butter: Infuses the muffins with rich, nutty flavor and moisture.
- Unsalted butter: Contributes to the tender crumb and richness of the muffins.
- Ripe bananas: Adds natural sweetness, moisture, and a hint of banana flavor.
- Large eggs: Bind the ingredients together and provide structure.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances the overall flavor profile of the muffins.
- Chocolate chips: Delivers bursts of melty chocolate goodness throughout each muffin.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Follow this step-by-step photo tutorial, then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and method.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In another bowl, mix together the peanut butter, melted butter, mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla extract until well combined.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. This is the Muffin Method.
Gently fold the mixture together until just combined. Avoid overmixing; a few lumps are okay.
Gently old in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed in the batter.
Spoon the batter into lined muffin cups, filling each one ⅔ full.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Add chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans for extra crunch.
- Mix in shredded coconut for a tropical twist.
- Experiment with different types of chocolate chips such as dark chocolate or white chocolate.
- Incorporate dried fruit like raisins or cranberries for added sweetness and texture.
Storage Advice: Store your chocolate chip peanut butter muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or refrigerate for longer freshness.
Freeze: They can also be frozen for up to 3 months; thaw at room temperature or gently reheat before serving.
- Avoid overmixing the batter to ensure tender, fluffy muffins.
- Use ripe bananas for optimal sweetness and moisture.
- Customize the recipe by adjusting the amount of chocolate chips to suit your taste preferences.
- For easy removal, use paper liners or generously grease the muffin cups before filling with batter.
Bananas add moisture and sweetness to the muffins; however, you can substitute with applesauce or yogurt if desired.
Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Plus, you'll get a free eBook: 15 Minute Vegan Dinners!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ If you love this recipe, please leave a five-star rating and review in the comments below! And if you make any modifications, let us know how it went so that we can all benefit from your experience. Happy cooking!
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour 180 grams
- ½ cup granulated sugar 100 grams
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar 50 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter 120 grams
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled (60 grams)
- 2 ripe bananas mashed (about 200 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chocolate chips 135 grams
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease the muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the peanut butter, melted butter, mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently fold the mixture together until just combined. Avoid overmixing; a few lumps are okay.
- Gently old in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed in the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each one ⅔ full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The tops should be golden brown.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.