These Pumpkin Banana Muffins with chocolate chips are moist, fluffy and super tasty! This recipe is an easy-to-make treat for breakfast, dessert, or a snack. Made with ripe bananas, pumpkin puree, warm spices, and simple ingredients, they're quick to whip up and perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.
Get ready for a delicious treat that's easy to make and perfect for breakfast or as a snack!
These pumpkin banana muffins with chocolate chips are packed with flavor and nutrients, making them a healthier alternative to store-bought muffins.
With the natural sweetness and moisture from very ripe bananas, the fall flavor and fiber from canned pumpkin puree, and a blend of warm spices, these muffins are sure to be a hit!
Plus, they're made with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
You can whip up a batch in no time and enjoy the sweet aroma of warm muffins filling your home.
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast on-the-go or a midday snack, these pumpkin banana muffins are the perfect choice.
If you're a fan of muffins (and hey, who isn't?), then be sure to try The Best Muffin Recipes. My particular faves are Vanilla Mango Muffins, Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins, and Sweet Potato Muffins with Chocolate Chips.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- These muffins are ready in just 30 minutes.
- Pumpkin and banana are a delicious flavor combination that screams fall.
- These muffins are a healthier alternative to store-bought muffins, as they contain natural ingredients and less sugar.
- They are easy to make and perfect for meal prep, as they can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
- Enjoy them for a dessert, breakfast, or snack.
- They're nut-free so great for lunchboxes.
- Bananas: Bananas add natural sweetness and moisture to your muffins. Make sure you use ones that are very ripe, almost black on the outside, for maximum flavor and sweetness.
- Pumpkin puree: Pumpkin puree adds a delicious fall flavor and also provides fiber and vitamin A.
- Chocolate chips: I use semi-sweet, but you could use milk, dark, white, or even butterscotch chips.
- Flour: Regular all purpose flour (plain flour) provides structure and bulk.
- Sugar: Regular granulated white sugar adds sweetness. You can use brown sugar for a more caramel-like flavor.
- Eggs: Eggs provide structure and richness.
- Butter: Melted butter adds flavor and moisture.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract adds sweetness and depth of flavor to your muffins. Try swapping to almond extract for a different flavor.
- Baking powder: This ingredient helps the pumpkin banana muffins rise.
- Pumpkin spice: Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice that adds warmth and flavor to the muffins.
- Salt: To balance the flavors.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Follow this step-by-step photo tutorial, then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and method.
Preheat an oven to 350°F /180°C and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
Add the mashed bananas, pumpkin puree, sugar, eggs, melted (and cooled) butter and vanilla to a mixing bowl.
Beat well to combine.
In another bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt together.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and gently mix to combine. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
Spoon into the muffin cases to ¾ full. Bake for 20-25 mins until the pumpkin banana muffins are risen and golden. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Add chopped nuts or dried fruits to the batter for extra texture.
- Use maple syrup or honey instead of sugar for a natural sweetener.
- Add a cream cheese filling to the muffins for a decadent touch.
- Use different spices, such as cardamom or cloves, for a unique flavor profile.
- Swap the pumpkin pie spice blend to Speculoos Spice Blend (Biscoff, Speculaas), or Chai Spice Mix for a different warming flavor.
Store: Keep your pumpkin banana muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
Freeze: If you want to store them longer, you can freeze them for up to three months. To thaw, leave them at room temperature or microwave them for a few seconds.
More Vegetable Desserts
- Make sure your bananas are very ripe for maximum flavor and sweetness.
- Do not overmix the batter, as this can result in tough muffins.
- You can use a cookie scoop to evenly distribute the batter into the muffin cups.
- Do not overbake your muffins, as they can dry out. Check them after 20 minutes and bake for additional time if needed.
Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
Yes, you can freeze these muffins for up to 3 months. Make sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap before freezing.
Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Plus, you'll get a free eBook: 15 Minute Vegan Dinners!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ If you love this recipe, please leave a five-star rating and review in the comments below! And if you make any modifications, let us know how it went so that we can all benefit from your experience. Happy cooking!
Pumpkin Banana Muffins
- 2 very ripe bananas mashed
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin puree 175g
- ¾ cup white sugar 150g
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter melted (65g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour 250g
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips 100g
- Preheat an oven to 350°F /180°C and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Add the mashed bananas, pumpkin puree, sugar, eggs, melted (and cooled) butter and vanilla to a mixing bowl and beat well to combine.
- In another bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and gently mix to combine. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon into the muffin cases to ¾ full. Bake for 20-25 mins until the pumpkin banana muffins are risen and golden. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.