These homemade Cinnamon Twists are really easy to make and taste delicious! Flaky pastry and sweet cinnamon sugar - what's not to love! You can customize them by adding raisins or even dried cranberries for the holidays.
Homemade Cinnamon Twists Recipe
This recipe might look pretty fancy, but it is SO EASY!
You only need a few simple ingredients and a few minutes. Your house will smell amazing while they cook. Cinnamon will dance in the air and the flaky pastry puffs and goes golden in minutes.
You can, of course, make your own puff pastry. But honestly, life is just too short.
You can buy great puff pastry in the shops so you can whip up these twists in minutes.
Keep a box of pastry in the fridge and if anyone pops in to visit over the holidays, you can swiftly rustle up these homemade cinnamon twists and WOW your guests. With no fuss!
What ingredients do I need for cinnamon twists?
Butter (or vegan butter)
Dried cranberries (or raisins)
Powdered icing sugar
Tips and Tricks for the perfect puff pastry cinnamon twists
- You can have these cinnamon twists as dessert, a snack or even a decadent breakfast
- Try them with a pot of melted chocolate dip - they'll taste like churros!
- These rough puff pastry twists are a great way to use up leftover pastry.
You can enjoy this simple recipe as it is, or try these variations!
- Add a handful of raisins or dried cranberries.
- Add orange zest to the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Stir ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg into 2 tablespoon powdered icing sugar and dust over the cooled twists.
How to make Cinnamon Twists - step by step
Brace yourselves, this is SUCH an easy recipe! Follow these step by step pictures for perfect results!
- Unroll the pastry (or roll out a block of puff pastry). Stir the vanilla into the melted butter (or vegan butter) and brush ½ of it onto the pastry.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar onto the pastry.
4. Sprinkle with dried cranberries (if using).
5. Fold the pastry in half and press down lightly.
6. Cut into strips (about 1" wide) and twist a few times, then brush with the remaining melted butter. Bake and enjoy!
How to enjoy this cinnamon twists recipe
You can have these cinnamon twists as dessert, a snack or even a decadent breakfast!
They're a quick and easy recipe for parties too.
What other Christmas dessert recipes can I cook?
Substitutions to make this cinnamon twists recipe work for your diet.
This cinnamon puff pastry recipe is very versatile and can be tweaked to fit a number of different diets:
Gluten-free: Use gluten-free puff pastry to make this recipe gluten-free. You can find it in many larger grocery stores. Or make your own gluten free puff pastry.
Dairy-free: As long as you use dairy-free pastry (most is in the shops), dairy free butter and vegan milk (or brush with egg wash), this recipe is dairy free.
Egg-free: If you want these to be egg-free, then brush the pastry with milk instead of an egg wash.
Oil-free: This recipe is naturally oil-free.
NOTE: I am not a certified nutritionist and make no claims to the contrary. If you have a food allergy or intolerance you should determine whether the ingredients in each recipe are suitable for you.
Can this recipe be prepped ahead of time?
Yes. You can absolutely prep cinnamon twists ahead of time.
You can prepare the twists, then keep then in the fridge (uncooked) and then just stick them in the oven to cook when you're ready to serve.
How long do they last?
Not long! They are best cooked and eaten on the same day. But you can make them ahead (see above) and just bake and serve.
Get the Cinnamon Twists Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes, vegan cake and also easy vegan desserts.
- 13 oz (375g) sheet of puff pastry
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon butter melted (divided), or vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon powdered icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 175C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Allow the pastry to thaw slightly, then unroll, but leave it on its baking paper.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Stir the vanilla into the melted butter, then brush half of it over the pastry.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.
- Evenly sprinkle with the dried cranberries over half of the pastry.
- Fold the dough in half and press down gently.
- Cut strips about 1" wide along the shorter size. Twist each strip, then place onto the baking sheet. Brush with the remaining melted butter.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, sift the icing sugar over the cooled cinnamon twists.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.