Make tender and tasty Crock Pot Black Beans with ease in your slow cooker! Get all the tips to ensure your dried black beans are cooked and seasoned to perfection.
Let me show you how easy it is to cook dried beans! Crock pot black beans are super easy and so versatile!
Just add the dried black beans and some simple seasonings to your slow cooker and let it do its thing.
Come back to beautifully tender, flavorful black beans that you can use in a variety of dishes.
What are black beans?
Black beans are a type of small, oval-shaped legume that are native to South and Central America.
They are a popular ingredient in Latin American and Caribbean cuisines, where they are often used to make soups, stews, salads, and other dishes.
Black beans are also high in dietary fiber, protein, and various vitamins and minerals.
Find out more about tasty bean recipes.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's so easy! Just add it all to the slow cooker, then come back to tender beans.
This is a dump and go slow cooker recipe. So simple.
Slow cookers are a budget-friendly way to cook dried beans.
You can use the seasoned black beans in many ways, from Mexican dishes like tacos and fajitas, to soups, stews and side dishes.
Although it takes a few hours, you don't have to check the beans for scorching like if you cook them on the stove top.
Freezer friendly, so you can make a large batch and save them for another meal.
These beans are great with Mexican dishes, but you can pair them with many other cuisines too.
- Dried black beans - use dried black beans for this recipe. Canned ones will get mushy and soft if cooked in the slow cooker/crock pot.
- Stock - for flavor, you'll cook the black beans in stock. I used vegetable stock, but if you prefer you can use mushroom stock, chicken, or beef. You can even use vegan chicken stock!
- Onion and garlic - a chopped yellow onion and some garlic add great flavor and texture to the beans.
- Bay leaves, dried oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder - these spices and seasonings turn the beans into a tasty dish.
Please see the recipe card below for quantities.
Wondering how to make this Crock Pot Black Beans recipe? It's easy! Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Prep the ingredients: Rinse the black beans, finely dice the onions and mince the garlic.
Into the Crock Pot: Add them all to the slow cooker, along with all other ingredients and stir.
Cook: Cook the black beans on HIGH for 3 ½ hours or on LOW for 6 hours, or until the beans are soft and tender.
Serve: Remove the bay leaves and serve as a tasty side dish or taco filling.
Be sure to chop the onions small, so there aren't big chunks in the finished dish.
You don't have to pre-soak your beans for this recipe.
Switch up the seasonings to your liking.
Rinsing the dried black beans is important for removing any dirt.
Like them spicy? Add some cayenne powder, chopped jalapenos or chili powder to taste.
Add them to fajitas, tacos, or quesadillas for a vegetarian protein and lots of great flavors.
Serve them on loaded nachos, along with some refried beans.
Enjoy as a side dish along with a Mexican Chipotle Tortilla Bowl Salad.
Storage and Freezing
Store your crock pot black beans in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Allow the beans to cool completely, then portion them into ziploc bags and freeze for up to 6 months.
Check out the Veggie Desserts + Cakes cookbook on Amazon
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ If you love this recipe, please leave a five-star rating and review in the comments below! And if you make any modifications, let us know how it went so that we can all benefit from your experience. Happy cooking!
Crock Pot Black Beans
- ½ lb dried black beans 225g
- ½ yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth 700ml
- 1 cups water 235 ml
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder optional
- chopped parsley or cilantro/coriander
- Rinse the black beans, finely dice the onions and mince the garlic. Add them all to the slow cooker, along with all other ingredients and stir.
- Cook the black beans on HIGH for 3 ½ hours or on LOW for 6 hours, or until the beans are soft and tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve. If you want to, season them with a little salt and pepper. Great as a tasty side dish or taco filling.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.