These easy chocolate cupcakes can be made in one bowl in 30 minutes! They're rich, moist, fluffy and absolutely delicious. I've topped them with chocolate almond frosting for extra flavour.
Easy chocolate cupcakes are one of those recipes that you need to have up your sleeve.
You want to be sure that it will work, and that it won't create endless dishes or lots of work.
That's where these cupcakes come in.
You can make them in one bowl, mix it all up, pour them into the pan, bake and eat.
They really are quick and simple to make.
I've added a chocolate almond frosting to these cupcakes, but you could add whatever flavour you like.
Swap the almond essence for vanilla to make a chocolate frosting.
Easy Chocolate Cupcakes
After endlessly testing recipes for cakes and cupcakes for my cookbook, Veggie Desserts + Cakes, I'm happily back in the kitchen and baking cakes and cupcakes again!
This time, rather than tinkering with recipes for pea cupcakes or kale cupcakes, I wanted to make a simple one-bowl chocolate cupcake recipe.
A quick and easy recipe that you can quickly put together.
This recipe makes a decadently chocolatey sponge that's light, fluffy and moist. It's perfect for baking with kids, treats for friends or parties.
What makes these cupcakes easy?
- Store cupboard ingredients
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Make in one bowl
- Customise the flavour with almond, cinnamon, coffee and more!
If you love these easy 1-bowl chocolate cupcakes, you'll also love these other cupcake recipes!
Cavolo Nero Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Strawberry Jam Icing
Lemon and Stinging Nettle Cupcakes with Lavender Icing
Juniper Berry Lime Cupcakes with Lime and Jasmine Icing
Apple Parsnip Cupcakes with Boozy Apple Cider Icing
Spinach Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
Kale and Orange Cupcakes with Orange Icing
Get the recipe for Easy Chocolate Cupcakes
If you make this recipe, please tag it with #veggiedesserts on Instagram or other social media. I LOVE seeing your recreations of my recipes!
Easy Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Almond Frosting
- 80 g butter softened
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence or almond essence
- 100 g plain flour
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 120 ml milk
For the chocolate almond icing:
- 75 g butter softened
- 300 g icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 170C/325F. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper liners
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer, until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and beating each one in well, then beat in the vanilla.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt and mix by hand gently, then add the milk and gently combine.
- Fill the muffin cups three-quarters full with the batter and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the almond icing:
In a large bowl, beat all the icing ingredients together with an electric mixer until thick. If necessary, add more icing sugar or a teaspoon of milk to reach the desired consistency. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe over the cooled cupcakes.