These peanut butter cupcakes are topped with a strawberry jam icing to put the classic peanut butter and jelly flavours into a cupcake! Sweet, nutty, fruity and reminiscent of childhood sandwiches.
Ah, peanut butter and jam. Pairing these two classics takes me right back to my childhood. I grew up in Canada so this North American classic was often nestled in my lunchbox next to a box of questionably-fruity retro drink, Super Socco, an apple and some carrot sticks. I can imagine that I was probably wearing Rainbow Brite socks at the time if that doesn't date me too much.
As a vegetarian since I was 12, my parents often gave me peanut butter for the protein, magnesium, potassium and the guaranteed yumminess. It was filling, satisfying and moreish. It still is.
Peanut butter was such a part of my childhood. It was a dependable staple that was always in the cupboard and the brand was alwaysSKIPPY®. The brand asked me to create a recipe using their peanut butter and this was the first thing that came to my mind - PB&J cupcakes!
SKIPPY® is synonymous with peanut butter in the US, but now it's available in the UK so I can indulge in food memories with a sneaky spoonful of this melt-in-the-mouth super-creamy peanut butter. The brand is so famous in America that it’s even name checked in Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars' song, Uptown Funk, with the line “smoother than a fresh jar of SKIPPY®”. But the song that I remember it from the most is the late 1980s jingle.
Now that I'm a grown up with small children of my own, peanut butter is still a staple in the pantry. When my kids want a snack, often I'll reach for the jar of nutty spread. I often give them slices of bananas topped with peanut butter and raisins, or else I spread it on apple slices for them. It's versatile and packed with goodness.
Here are a few of my other peanut butter recipes:
Disclosure: SKIPPY commissioned me to create a recipe using their peanut butter, so I created these Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Strawberry Jam Icing. All opinions are my own.
Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Strawberry Jam Icing
- 2/3 cup (150g) smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (125g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (50ml) milk
- 1 1/4 cups (125g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the strawberry jam icing
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 75 g 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 200 g 1 ½ cups powdered icing sugar
- Fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Grease or line a muffin tin.
- Beat the peanut butter, butter and sugar together with an electric whisk or stand mixer for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one, then beat in the vanilla and the milk. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and gently combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, filling each ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes in the tin and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting with the strawberry jam icing.
For the strawberry jam icing
- Press the strawberry jam through a fine mesh sieve to remove any large pieces, collecting the thinner jam in a small bowl. You should have 1 tablespoon of jam in the bowl to use.
- Beat the butter, sugar and sieved strawberry jam with an electric whisk or stand mixer until smooth. Keep in the fridge until ready to frost the cupcakes.