These easy vegan chocolate cupcakes don't require any unusual ingredients! They're quick, easy and so moist and delicious that nobody would guess they're vegan!
People are often worried about baking vegan desserts.
They seem to think that you'll need unusual ingredients (like chia and flax) or that the results will be inferior.
These vegan cupcakes show that you can very easily whip up a batch of vegan cupcakes and they'll taste every bit as delicious.
They're moist, fluffy and full of decadent chocolate flavour.
I've topped them with vegan vanilla frosting and pretty vegan sprinkles!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes - Reader Reviews
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "I made these for a vegan party. They were better than any cupcake I’ve had, and so simple to make." - Simon
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "These turned out to be amazing. They were fluffy, moist, with just the right amount sweetness and chocolate flavour. And they were so simple to make! Everyone enjoyed them." - Olivia
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "I made these for a friends birthday and I can’t believe how delicious they are! This was the 3rd recipe I tried (the others were SO unsuccessful) and I’m really pleased with how these ones came out." - Niki
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "These are delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I didn’t even have to go out and buy the ingredients. I had it all in my cupboard/fridge." - Jade
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "I tried these vegan chocolate cupcakes over the weekend for a family member who is vegan and everyone loved them. Great recipe, I would recommend this to anyone!" - Robbie
Rather than use chia or flax in these cupcakes, I've used store cupboard ingredients.
They make moist and chocolaty cupcakes that taste absolutely delicious.
Ingredients for the vegan chocolate cupcakes
- Dairy-free milk (soy, almond, rice, oat etc...)
- Lemon juice (or white or apple cider vinegar)
- Dairy-free butter
- Baking powder
- Cocoa powder
Ingredients for the icing
- Vegan butter
- Powdered icing sugar
- Vegan milk (soy, almond, rice, oat etc...)
- Muffin tray
- Cupcake papers
step by step tutorial
These vegan cupcakes really are super easy to make. Just follow this step by step picture tutorial.
Then scroll down to the recipe card below for the full recipe!
1 - Whisk the melted butter and sugar together, then whisk in the milk (with lemon juice in it to sour)
2 - Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder
3 - Mix to combine but don't over mix.
4: Spoon into the prepared muffin tray and bake for 15-20 minutes.
5: Spoon the frosting into a piping bag and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
If you're looking for other easy vegan dessert recipes, you must try my vegan chocolate cake - SOOOO many of you have made it and loved it.
I love looking at your recreations on Instagram and other social media.
My vanilla vegan birthday cake is also hugely popular with you lovely readers!
You'll also love my vegan Victoria Sponge and Vegan Lemon Cake.
"I made this yesterday and it was amazing! I can’t believe how well and fluffy it turned out. Best of all you can’t tell it’s any different to a non vegan sponge!! - Hannah
More Vegan Cupcakes
If you love these chocolate vegan cupcakes, you'll love these other flavors too!
Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
Get the Easy Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
💚Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.💚
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes, vegan cake and also easy vegan desserts.
Easy Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- ⅔ cup (150ml) dairy-free milk (soy, almond, rice, oat etc...)
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice or white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (75g) dairy-free butter , melted and cooled
- ½ cup (100ml) sugar
- 1 cup (125ml) plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
For the icing
- ⅓ cup (75g) dairy free butter
- 1 ¾ cups (225g) icing sugar (confectioner's)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoon dairy free milk (soy, almond, rice, oat etc...)
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Line a muffin tray with paper liners.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk to sour it and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugar until well combined. Stir in the milk mixture and the vanilla.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa and mix to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tray to ¾ full. Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, for the icing, beat the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and and 1 tablespoon of milk until thick and smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add another tablespoon of milk. If it’s too thin, add more icing sugar.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag and decorate the completely cooled cupcakes as desired.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
Verity Q Rushton
Thank you for this recipe. I've made it four times now. Love it.
Great recipe, easy to follow. I have left over icing, can this be frozen?
What’s the best way to store these cupcakes. Light and fluffy nice texture
Hi, just store them in a container on the counter. I'm glad you like them!
fluffy, decadent, fool proof!! What a lovely recipe!
Hi. I was wondering if the the the soy or almond milk needs to be sweetened or unsweetened? I want to make
This for a holiday party. Thank you.
Hi, I use unsweetened. But if you only have sweetened it would be fine, too. Just a very slightly sweeter cake.
Hi these are super fluffy and very tasty thank you! My questions is.. any idea why mine over risen in the oven? I had to chop the tops off to get an even surface for the frosting. Thanks
Can I use any dairy free spread (like sunflower spread or soya spread) instead vegan butter??
Hi, absolutely. Any of those will work.
Thank you so much!
i did it, that is an amazing recipe!
Great taste and incredibly easy to make!!
These look delicious 🙂
I was wondering what sugar you use for the cupcakes?
Hi, just normal granulated sugar. If you're in the USA you'll need to choose organic sugar so that it's vegan. Hope that helps!
Absolutely brilliant and so easy! Was helped by my three year old granddaughter. Thank you for a really great recipe!
Wow these were so easy and tasted amazing. Thanks for the recipe ☺
I made these for a vegan party. They were better than any cupcake I’ve had, and so simple to make.
What kind of “dairy-free milk” can be used?
Hi, you can use soy, almond, oat, rice etc... I hope you enjoy the cupcakes!
Thank you soo much for this recipe!! I made some for my friends 21st, and doubled the recipe.
I admit I was doubtful that the recipe would work for me, as the last vegan cupcakes recipe I tried did not work so well. However, I decided to give this one a go, as I’ve tried your red lentil Dahl and loved it (it’s now a staple in my home!) These turned out to be amazing. They were fluffy, moist, with just the right amount sweetness and chocolate flavour. And they were so simple to make! Everyone enjoyed them. Cheers!
I made these for a friends birthday and I can’t believe how delicious they are! This was the 3rd recipe I tried (the others were SO unsuccessful) and I’m really pleased with how they came out.
Can these cupcakes be frozen? 🙂
Yes, it's fine to freeze them (un-frosted)!
Love these! Can they be made ahead and frozen, ready to do the icing on the day? x
Absolutely! They freeze well. 🙂
Can you use Apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice? I completely forgot the lemon juice!!
Yes! It will work fine with vinegar too. I hope you enjoy the cupcakes Isabel!
I used white vinegar which was all I had and the recipe worked beautifully!
These are delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I didn’t even have to go out and buy the ingredients. I had it all in my cupboard/fridge. I also love that you put the U.K. measures too. Much love.
Can you use coconut oil instead of dairy free butter?! (Hiya!) xxx
I haven't tested it, but it should work fine. Just solidify the coconut oil in the fridge before measuring so it's an equal quantity to what the butter calls for. Then melt and go! 🙂
I absolutely love your images! These look delicious 😀
Kaz | Ickle Pickles Life and Travels
These look so delicious, even better that they are vegan!
These have got to be the lightest, fluffiest vegan chocolate cupcakes I've ever seen! They're gorgeous!
Jess @ Living on Leaves
Yum!! It surprised me so much when I first went vegan to discover how baking is completely possible without the things you think are essential for it! Love the colour of the sprinkles against the chocolate cake and white topping 🙂
A great recipe. I tried this over the weekend for a family member who is vegan and everyone loved the buns I made. Great recipe, I would recommend this to anyone!
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
These look so delicious and so easy to make! Will definitely have to make these with the kids one day
They are so cute, love how they don't have any hard to find ingredients in them. That's often such an off-putting aspect of vegan baking.
Gloria @ Homemade & Yummy
Chocolate cupcakes are always a hit. I love those sprinkles. I actually just saw them in a store here....great cause I thought you could only order them online. Hubby would love these little treats with his tea for sure.
Kate, these are gorgeous and I can tell by the recipe (and photo) that they’re moist and delicious. I bet no one even knows they’re vegan. Nice job…thanks for the recipe! I’ll be sharing this everywhere ????
Oooh yes! Thanks for making a recipe for vegan cupcakes without chia or flax! I know they're healthy but they're so costly and give cakes a sorta weird texture.
These chocolate cupcakes look perfectly moist. (And thank you for using common ingredients, this is a keeper recipe for sure.)
The cupcake were so nice! Incredibly moist!
I am craving some chocolate cupcakes! I love how you made these vegan!
sue | theviewfromgreatisland
These are so elegant without the sprinkles, and so much fun with them ~ what a versatile dessert!