These easy vegan chocolate cupcakes don't require any unusual ingredients! They're quick, easy and so moist and delicious that nobody would guess they're vegan!
People are often worried about baking vegan desserts.
They seem to think that you'll need unusual ingredients (like chia and flax) or that the results will be inferior.
These vegan cupcakes show that you can very easily whip up a batch of vegan cupcakes and they'll taste every bit as delicious.
They're moist, fluffy and full of decadent chocolate flavour.
I've topped them with vegan vanilla frosting and pretty vegan sprinkles!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes - Reader Reviews
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "I made these for a vegan party. They were better than any cupcake I’ve had, and so simple to make." - Simon
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "These turned out to be amazing. They were fluffy, moist, with just the right amount sweetness and chocolate flavour. And they were so simple to make! Everyone enjoyed them." - Olivia
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "I made these for a friends birthday and I can’t believe how delicious they are! This was the 3rd recipe I tried (the others were SO unsuccessful) and I’m really pleased with how these ones came out." - Niki
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "These are delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I didn’t even have to go out and buy the ingredients. I had it all in my cupboard/fridge." - Jade
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "I tried these vegan chocolate cupcakes over the weekend for a family member who is vegan and everyone loved them. Great recipe, I would recommend this to anyone!" - Robbie
Rather than use chia or flax in these cupcakes, I've used store cupboard ingredients.
They make moist and chocolaty cupcakes that taste absolutely delicious.
Ingredients for the vegan chocolate cupcakes
- Dairy-free milk (soy, almond, rice, oat etc...)
- Lemon juice (or white or apple cider vinegar)
- Dairy-free butter
- Baking powder
- Cocoa powder
Ingredients for the icing
- Vegan butter
- Powdered icing sugar
- Vegan milk (soy, almond, rice, oat etc...)
- Muffin tray
- Cupcake papers
step by step tutorial
These vegan cupcakes really are super easy to make. Just follow this step by step picture tutorial.
Then scroll down to the recipe card below for the full recipe!
1 - Whisk the melted butter and sugar together, then whisk in the milk (with lemon juice in it to sour)
2 - Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder
3 - Mix to combine but don't over mix.
4: Spoon into the prepared muffin tray and bake for 15-20 minutes.
5: Spoon the frosting into a piping bag and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
If you're looking for other easy vegan dessert recipes, you must try my vegan chocolate cake - SOOOO many of you have made it and loved it.
I love looking at your recreations on Instagram and other social media.
My vanilla vegan birthday cake is also hugely popular with you lovely readers!
"I made this yesterday and it was amazing! I can’t believe how well and fluffy it turned out. Best of all you can’t tell it’s any different to a non vegan sponge!! - Hannah
More Vegan Cupcakes
If you love these chocolate vegan cupcakes, you'll love these other flavors too!
Get the Easy Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
💚Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.💚
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes, vegan cake and also easy vegan desserts.
Easy Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- ⅔ cup (150ml) dairy-free milk (soy, almond, rice, oat etc...)
- 2 tsp lemon juice or white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (75g) dairy-free butter , melted and cooled
- ½ cup (100ml) sugar
- 1 cup (125ml) plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
For the icing
- ⅓ cup (75g) dairy free butter
- 1 ¾ cups (225g) icing sugar (confectioner's)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp dairy free milk (soy, almond, rice, oat etc...)
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Line a muffin tray with paper liners.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk to sour it and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugar until well combined. Stir in the milk mixture and the vanilla.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa and mix to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tray to ¾ full. Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, for the icing, beat the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and and 1 tablespoon of milk until thick and smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add another tablespoon of milk. If it’s too thin, add more icing sugar.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag and decorate the completely cooled cupcakes as desired.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.