The creamy, flavorful vegan rice pudding is the ultimate comfort food dessert. It's easy to make and is perfect on its own or topped with a quick berry sauce.
Rice pudding is such a simple, yet decadently rich dessert or tasty breakfast.
It's rich, creamy, comforting, and really easy to make.
Serve it warm on its own or topped it with a quick winter spiced berry compote that has a sweet sharpness that contrasts the rich pudding beautifully.
I absolutely adore rice pudding. It's sweet, and creamy and has that lovely distinctive texture from the pudding rice. It's seriously tasty comfort food.
I'm sure you've had it before; it's such a retro classic. Being mild and sweet, I like it contrasted with a sweet and slightly tart berry sauce that you can whip up in minutes.
For more wintery vegan dessert recipes, be sure to try Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes, Vegan Tofu Chocolate Mousse, Cinnamon Twists, or Vegan Pumpkin Cake with Ginger Frosting.
This recipe was originally published on January 19, 2017, and republished with new text and photographs on November 24, 2022.
Why you'll love this recipe
It's a tasty comfort food recipe.
Vegan rice pudding tastes just as great as regular non-vegan.
It's a creamy and rich dessert.
The easy berry topping cuts through the sweetness of the rice pudding. Short on time? You can substitute jam.
Use any vegan milk you like: soy, almond, cashew, hazelnut...
You only need a few simple ingredients to make vegan rice pudding!
- Vegan Butter - any dairy-free butter or margarine will work.
- Rice - use short-grained sticky rice, such as pudding rice, risotto rice, arborio rice, or paella rice.
- Milk - use a dairy-free vegan milk such as coconut, soy, almond milk or other non-dairy milk.
- Sugar - Use granulated white sugar (ensure it's vegan). You can also substitute stevia (use the ratio on your package for substitution guidance) or coconut sugar.
- Vanilla extract - to add sweetness and flavor.
For the berry sauce (optional)
- Frozen mixed berries - or fresh
- White sugar
- Ground ginger
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cloves
How to make Vegan Rice Pudding
It's really easy to make vegan rice pudding! Just follow these photo instructions, then scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full list of ingredients and the method.
Preheat the oven and lightly grease a small round casserole dish with butter.
Rinse the rice in a sieve under cold running water and drain well.
Add the rice and all other rice pudding ingredients to the casserole dish and mix well.
Put into the oven and bake for 1 ½ hours until the rice is cooked and the top is golden and bubbling.
For the berry sauce, add all ingredients to a pot and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until thick.
Enjoy your rice pudding on its own, or try it with a variety of toppings!
Frozen Berry Compote
Easy Cherry Compote
Biscoff Syrup (speculoos)
Pumpkin Spice Blend
Homemade Cookie Butter
More Vegan Desserts
If you love this vegan rice pudding recipe (and I hope you do!), then be sure to check out these other dairy-free and eggless vegan desserts.
Vegan Chocolate Cake
Vegan Carrot Cake
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Plus, you'll get a free eBook: 15 Minute Vegan Dinners!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ If you love this recipe, please leave a five-star rating and review in the comments below! And if you make any modifications, let us know how it went so that we can all benefit from your experience. Happy cooking!
Vegan Rice Pudding
For the vegan rice pudding
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter plus extra for greasing
- 100 g (½ cups) pudding rice
- 600 ml (3 cups) vegan milk soy, almond, oat etc...
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the winter-spiced berry sauce
- 200 g (1 ¼ cups) frozen mixed berries
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
For the vegan rice pudding:
- Preheat oven to 180°C/325°F. Rub the vegan butter around the base and sides of a medium-sized ovenproof casserole dish.
- Rinse the rice in a sieve under cold running water and drain well.
- Add the rice and all other rice pudding ingredients to the casserole dish and mix well. Put into the oven and bake for 1 ½ hours.
- Serve on it's own or topped with the berry sauce.
For the winter-spiced berry sauce:
- Meanwhile, add all ingredients to a saucepan over a medium/low heat and stir well. Allow to bubble and cook for 15 minutes until thick, stirring often. Taste and add more sugar if desired.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
Yum, perfect cold-weather dessert! Loved all the wintery spices in it 🙂
Totally in love with this vegan version of rice pudding. Thanks for sharing
Rice pudding is the ultimate comforting dessert and this vegan version was amazing.
I was recently saying I need to try making rice pudding as it's a favourite dessert! Thanks for sharing your recipe, we loved it!!!
It was delicious and so comforting.Really easy to make too!
Rice pudding is one of my favorite comfort foods! The berry sauce takes it to the next level - yum!
This rice pudding was so scrumptious ! The berry compote was divine on it.
I made this with almond milk and it was so creamy and delicious! Will definitely make this version again.
Ooh yum, this vegan rice pudding was incredible. I have leftover compote so will put that on oatmeal in the morning!
I loved this fruity spiced version! This is right up my street!
This rice pudding was delicious and really easy to make.
Rice pudding always makes me think of home. It was one of my mother's regular pudds. That compote sounds like the perfect accompaniment.
Oh yes please I am definitely making this!