You're going to love this homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning blend. It's full of great taste, plus it's easy to make with simple ingredients! Use it on anything from bagels, to eggs, to bread, or to season just about anything.
I LOVE Everything Bagels, and I LOVE Trader Joe's Everything But The Bagel Seasoning.
But you know what I love the most? Making my own Homemade Everything Bagel seasoning right at home with 6 ingredients and 2 minutes! It's sooo easy.
It is super simple and you will seriously want to put it on everything. From avocado toast to scrambled eggs, it's a condiment that takes food to the next level!
Whether you call it everything but the bagel, bagel seasoning, ebtb seasoning, everything bagel spice or everything seasoning, this is the most addictive, awesome, flavor-packed seasoning in my pantry! I hope you love it too!
What is Everything Bagel?
An everything bagel is a bagel that is topped with a mixture of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and garlic. It's a popular flavor for a bagel in the United States and it's been around for quite a while.
Over the last few years, the seasoning blend used on the bagels has completely taken over. This may have to do with Trader Joe's releasing its own blend of everything bagel seasoning called Everything But The Bagel in 2012 which began the obsession.
While there are plenty of places you can purchase everything bagel seasoning these days, like Kroger or Walmart, we find it's best to make your own from scratch.
This way you can control the type of ingredients as well as how much of each to put in to customize your tastes. You can also make a small batch or a big batch to give away as a homemade gift or to keep in your pantry so you'll always have it on hand.
You can use this seasoning in so many different ways: on eggs, in a salad, on roasted vegetables, in breading coatings, or even on popcorn. The possibilities are endless!
You're also going to love my other seasoning recipes, including Baharat (Middle Eastern spice blend), Old Bay Seasoning and sweet spices like Chai Spice blend and Speculoos (Biscoff spice).
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Buying your own ingredients to make it from scratch is more cost-effective than buying a blend.
You can customize the number of spices and seasonings to make it your own.
This versatile bagel seasoning can be used on just about anything.
Bottle it up to make homemade gifts for friends, neighbors, and teachers.
- Poppy Seeds - Adds a nutty flavor and a bit of crunch along with a peppery black color.
- White and Black Sesame Seeds - Adds a toasty, nutty flavor as well as essential fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins.
- Minced Garlic Powder - Adds a pungent, savory flavor.
- Minced Onion Powder - Adds depth of flavor and a touch of natural sweetness.
- Sea Salt Flakes - Enhances the flavors of all the other ingredients.
Please see the recipe card below for quantities.
Wondering how to make this Everything Bagel Seasoning recipe? It's easy! Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Gather ingredients: Gather all of the seasonings and spices needed along with measuring cups or spoons.
Combine seasonings: Add everything into a small bowl and mix until all the seasonings are evenly distributed.
Store: Using a funnel or measuring cup with a spout, pour the mixed seasoning into a sterilized jar or airtight container with a lid. Keep in the pantry and enjoy.
When purchasing the ingredients, make sure everything has an expiration date that is at least 6 months out. This will ensure that every part of the seasoning stays fresh.
Make sure the sea salt flakes are about the same size as the rest of the ingredients. If they are too big, add them to a bag and use a rolling pin or grinder to make them smaller.
Give the seasoning a taste test on a piece of food before storing it to make sure it has the desired flavor.
Add a unique flavor twist by stirring some into this Easy Tomato Soup.
Sprinkle a bit on top of homemade Polenta Fries.
Makes a great addition to Vegan Carrot Lox on a bagel for breakfast or brunch.
Toss it on top of some Mini Baked Potatoes for an even more flavorful appetizer.
If you're not a fan of poppy seeds, they can easily be left out of the recipe.
If you prefer a less potent garlic flavor, reduce the amount of minced garlic powder to ½ teaspoon.
Spice it up by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to the mix.
Add a tablespoon of dried chives for an onion-garlic flavor with a pop of green color.
Used smoked flaky salt to give the seasoning a light smoky flavor.
Ways to use Everything Bagel Seasoning
This is a seriously versatile seasoning blend! Use it on:
- Go classic and use it on bagels! Either when you make them yourself, or sprinkle the seasoning onto bagels spread with cream cheese.
- Try it on avocado toast or mushrooms on toast.
- If you're making bread, add sprinkle a little everything bagel seasoning on top before baking.
- Spread homemade naan bread with melted butter, then sprinkle with this seasoning.
- Sprinkle it on your fried eggs, poached eggs or scrambled eggs.
- Spice up your popcorn (try stovetop popcorn).
- Meats and meat alternaties - I love using it on tofu!
- Sprinkle it into savory pancakes or sweet potato waffles.
- Use it as a condiment for pizza or pasta.
- Sprinkle onto homemade hummus.
- It goes well with potatoes! Try it on garlic mashed potatoes, parmentier potatoes or hasselback potatoes.
This everything but the bagel seasoning will stay fresh for up to six months if stored in an airtight container or sealed jar with a lid. However, the flavor may start to reduce after about three months so it's best to use it frequently.
An everything bagel usually has poppy, sesame, and garlic seeds on it. However, there can be variations that can easily be changed when you make this seasoning homemade.
This could be the poppy seeds and/or black sesame seeds. Both add a rich nutty flavor to the seasoning along with crunch.
Yes! The recipe below is for a small batch but you can easily multiply the ingredients to make a bigger batch. Just store it in an airtight container or jar with a lid.
More Seasoning recipes
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Vegan Chicken Broth Seasoning Powder
- Baharat Middle Eastern Spice
Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Plus, you'll get a free eBook: 15 Minute Vegan Dinners!
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 4 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- Gather all of the seasonings and spices needed along with measuring cups or spoons.
- Add everything into a small bowl and mix until all the seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Using a funnel or measuring cup with a spout, pour the mixed seasoning into a sterilized jar or airtight container with a lid. Keep in the pantry and enjoy.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
This is such an easy seasoning mix to make. I love knowing that I have some made up in the cupboard. I have been trying it on everything. I really love it in my scrambled eggs.
Perfect for my cucumbers! This was so easy!
I love everything bagel seasoning, and this blend is wonderful! I especially love using it on avocado toast. Delicious!
I love this seasoning! Super quick and easy to make and store!
We had this seasoning on our eggs this morning and it's one of our favourites. So versatile too!