This homemade Old Bay seasoning mix is a must for every pantry! The versatile blend of celery salt, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and more is perfect for jazzing up everything from marinades to salads. Ready in just 5 minutes.
What is Old Bay Seasoning?
You'll recognize it from the iconic yellow, blue and red packaging, but what exactly is it?
Old Bay Seasoning was created by McCormick and Company in Baltimore, Maryland, back in the 1930s as a seafood seasoning. It's been popular in that State and all across the US ever since.
It is a versatile blend of herbs and spices, including celery salt, black pepper and paprika, that goes with many dishes!
You only need simple ingredients for this incredible Old Bay seasoning recipe mix, and you probably have them all in your spice rack already!
- Celery salt - this is a MUST for this seasoning
- Paprika - both sweet and smoked work well. Use your favorite.
- Ground black pepper - I like to use freshly ground, rather than pre-ground which is less fresh-tasting and is more powdery.
- Mustard powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground ginger
How to make Old Bay Seasoning
This is a simple dump and stir recipe. Nothing else is involved!
Just measure all the ingredients into a bowl, stir and store in an airtight container.
You don't need a spice grinder or any fancy equipment. Yay!
How much does the recipe make?
This recipe makes about 2 tablespoons. It's so easy to make that I tend to make it up freshly all the time, rather than storing it.
If you're going to use a lot for a cookout or recipe, then scale up the recipe - just double or triple the ingredients.
You can also make a huge batch and give it as edible gifts! Anyone will love to receive it.
It's amazing how just putting simple spices together in different combinations can create incredible new flavors.
I like to keep lots of jars of homemade spice mixes in my pantry - ready to add tons of flavor to dishes.
From Mexican fajita seasoning and Middle Eastern spice mixes, to this tasty classic American Old Bay Seasoning spice mix. If you're looking for another classic, try Stone House Seasoning.
You'll also love my homemade Baharat - a Middle Eastern spice blend.
How to use Old Bay Seasoning
This is one of those tasty spice mixes that you can put on loads of dishes. It's often used on meat, poultry and seafood, but it's also great on tofu and veggies!
The original Old Bay seasoning started as a seafood seasoning, but soon it became popular for many other uses. Get creative with it!
- Add a teaspoon to a little oil or water and it makes a great marinade.
- Sprinkle it onto food before cooking or use it in the place of salt to season dishes.
- Stir a little into mashed potatoes.
- Season homemade fries or wedges.
- Use on kebabs for the barbecue.
- Add to dips and hummus.
- Sprinkled on popcorn.
- And anything else you can think of!
Looking for more homemade condiments? Try these!
Store your homemade Old Bay spice mix in a clean airtight container in a cool place. The cupboard or pantry is perfect.
Did you make this Old Bay seasoning recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
- 1 tablespoon Celery Salt
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne
- pinch Ground Cinnamon
- pinch Ground Nutmeg
- pinch Ground Ginger
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place.