This Farro Stew with chickpeas, mushrooms and kale is a healthy dish that is easy to make. It's lovely on its own or mopped up with crusty bread. Vegan.
Even in summer, when the days are warmer, I still love a nice, flavorsome stew.
This farro stew has the denser texture of the chickpeas, with the strong, earthiness of the mushroom stock and dried mushrooms, matched with the juicy tomatoes and concentrated puree.
I've added kale for some extra green goodness because, well, there isn't much that I don't add kale to these days - like kale cupcakes!
To the complex and complementary flavours of this stew, I've added a few good handfuls of farro. It's dense, tasty and nutritious.
what is farro
Farro is an Italian nutty wheat-based grain that is seeing a massive surge in popularity at the moment.
And rightly so, this tender grain has a consistency similar to rice, but is higher in fibre and protein and is gently chewy.
The farro gives a nice bite to this stew, with a barley-like texture.
It's easy to cook, and Bon Appetit has a comprehensive guide to cooking farro.
If you can't get hold of this particular grain, you could substitute barley or even couscous. Check out Recipes from a Pantry's guide on how to cook couscous.
healthy vegan stew recipes
I hope you love this farro stew. Be sure to try these other tasty and healthy vegan stew recipes too!
get the farro stew with mushrooms chickpeas and kale recipe
Did you make this farro stew recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Farro Stew with Chickpeas, Mushrooms and Kale
- 1 oz (25g) dried mushrooms (porcini or mixed)
- 15 oz (400g) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 15 oz (400g) can chopped or crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup (125g) farro, rinsed
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- sprig of rosemary
- sprig of thyme
- salt and pepper to season
- 3 handfuls kale washed, tough stalks removed and torn into pieces
- Rinse the mushrooms, then place in a bowl and cover with hot water. Leave to soak for 15 minutes.
- Stove Top Instructions:
- Add all ingredients, except the kale, to a large pot. Cook over a low heat for 30 minutes, stirring often. Add water if necessary. Add the kale shortly before serving and stir it in so it wilts.
- Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Add the mushrooms and their water, as well as all other ingredients except the kale, to the bowl of the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 hours. Add the kale at the end and leave to wilt into the stew just before serving.