This spaghetti with kale and asparagus is fresh and vibrant with chilli and fresh lemon. It's a super-quick veg-packed meal that comes together in ten minutes.
This spaghetti with kale and asparagus is one of those meals that you can have up your sleeve to throw together at the last minute.
It's faster than a microwave meal, filling and packed with vegetables.
With minimal prep, you can have dinner on the table in ten minutes, without compromising on flavour.
Plus, you can adapt the green veggies to what's in season, or what you have in your fridge or freezer.
Spinach, spring greens or watercress would all work well.
For this recipe, I used frozen chopped kale, frozen asparagus, frozen chopped garlic and frozen chopped chilli. They're just so handy when fresh veggies aren't available.
I added spelt spaghetti and half a lemon for a super-quick, healthy midweek meal.
You can easily substitute fresh ingredients for any of the frozen ones.
There are a few ingredients that I always have in my freezer: chopped garlic, chopped spinach and peeled bananas (for my morning smoothies).
They make life easier and mean that I can throw meals together quickly, even when I think I don't have any food in the house.
Spaghetti with Kale, Asparagus, Chilli and Lemon
- 4 oz (100g) spaghetti
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 8 spears of asparagus fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped red chilli or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- Put a pan of water on to boil and cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions. Steam the asparagus in a colander over the pasta for a few minutes until cooked, then remove and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat then add the garlic and chilli and cook for a minute, then add the kale and saute for a few minutes until cooked through. If using frozen kale, ensure it is all thawed.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to a serving dish with the kale and asparagus, drizzle with the lemon juice, olive oil and lemon zest and toss all ingredients together and season.
- Serve immediately.