These superfood cake bars are packed with nuts, seeds, dried fruit - from hazelnuts and pecans, to goji berries and hempseed. They make a filling snack or a healthier sweet treat.
Not just regular cake, these are superfood cake bars!
I've packed them with nuts, seeds, dried fruit and all sorts of goodness.
They have hazelnuts and pecans, goji berries and hempseed. They make a filling snack or a healthier sweet treat.
They are dense, decadent and bursting with texture and flavours.
My kids absolutely loved them, and unlike normal cakes, they were perfectly satiated after just one piece.
You can easily adapt this recipe for superfood cake bars to whatever you have in the cupboards.
I've given the amounts for nuts, seeds and dried fruit, so you can use the ingredients you have in each category.
For nuts I used pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts and hazelnuts.
For seeds, I used pumpkin, hemp, sunflower and linseeds.
And for dried fruit, I used goji berries, dried mulberries and raisins.
Use your favourites or whatever odds and ends of seed and nut packets you have that need to be used up.
I've used beetroot powder in these superfood cake bars.
It's available in many health food shops, but if you can't find it just leave it out.
Alternatively, you could use leftover beetroot juicer pulp (add 1-2 tablespoons).
The colour of beetroot powder tends to cook out, but it leaves behind nutrients and is good for the liver.
If you have extra beet powder, you could use it in soups, stews, curries, smoothies.
healthy bars recipes
I hope that you enjoy these superfood cake bars. If you're looking for more bars and squares recipes, try these tasty ones!
I love how nourishing and filling bars are when they're filled with hearty oats, nutrient-packed seeds and protein-filled nuts.
Try these other recipes. I hope you love them too.
get the superfood cake bars recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Superfood Cake Bars
- 1 cup (75g) oats
- 1/2 cup (55g) plain (all purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup (55g) wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon beetroot powder
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (100g) coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (100ml) almond milk
- 1 cup (100g) mixed nuts roughly chopped (pecans, almonds, walnuts etc…)
- 1 cup (100g) chopped dried fruit raisins, dates, figs, goji berries etc…
- 1/3 cup (50g) mixed seeds flax,chia, hemp, sunflower etc...
- Preheat oven to 180C /350F and lightly grease an 8x8” baking tin with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oats, flours, baking powder and beetroot powder together.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the egg, coconut sugar, coconut oil and vanilla, until smooth. Stir in the almond milk, nuts, fruit and seeds. Add in the dry ingredients and gently mix to combine.
- Add the batter and smooth out. Cook for 15-20 minutes then allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.