Banana Lassi is a tasty, refreshing yogurt-based blended drink. Whiz up this easy recipe in minutes with just a few simple ingredients.
Banana Lassi is a sweet smoothie-like drink that originated in India.
Simply blend up bananas with yogurt, sugar (optional) and ice in this recipe for a cold smoothie that’s perfect for the summer months and great for kids!
Lassi's are made of yogurt and, depending on the flavor, they may also have fruit, salt, sugar or spices, depending on the recipe.
This sweet banana lassi recipe uses fresh bananas in place of mangos or other fruits to give you a thick and hearty smoothie that can be whipped up quickly.
It's great in a pinch for those warm summer days!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It’s a great way to use up bananas that are starting to ripen too fast when you don’t want to make banana bread.
You can customize your banana lassi by adding some vanilla or warming spices to the mix. Ground cardamom is perfect.
This banana smoothie is made with simple ingredients you can find in any grocery store.
It's a budget-friendly recipe.
It can easily be made vegan by using your favorite plain plant-based vegan yogurt.
Sweet Banana Lassi is the perfect drink to serve alongside spicy food to help you cool down.
You can enjoy it poolside in the summer weather.
- Plain Yogurt - This gives the banana lassi a smooth texture and slightly tangy flavor.
- Ripe Bananas - Adds the banana flavor and helps with giving the smoothie a natural sweetness.
- Caster Sugar - Helps sweeten the lassi and blends in well.
- Ice Cubes - This is what makes this drink a cold refreshing smoothie.
Step By Step Tutorial
Wondering how to make this recipe? Follow this step by step photo tutorial, then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and method.
Add all ingredients to a blender.
Pulse a few times to break down the ice then blend until smooth.
Divide between two glasses. Serve on its own or over ice.
Make sure your banana is ripened but not overripe. Overripe bananas may be overly sweet and don’t blend as well. Choose a banana that’s spotted and yellow but not completely brown.
This smoothie can be served on its own or over a glass of ice. Serve over ice in instances where you’ll be in warmer weather so it stays cool longer.
The caster sugar will help sweeten the smoothie but it’s completely optional as your bananas may be sweet enough.
Pulsing your blender first helps the ice break down and makes the rest of the smoothie blend evenly.
More or less yogurt may be needed depending on how thick you enjoy your banana lassi.
Serve poolside for dinner along with this refreshing Mango Salad.
Add it to your brunch menu along with some Walnut Yogurt Parfaits.
Bring the ingredients to a summer party along with these refreshing Lemon Cucumber Popsicles.
Add in some vanilla extract for a delightful vanilla flavor throughout.
Your favorite warming spices can be thrown into the blender such as cinnamon, cardamom and ground cloves.
Serve with a sprinkling of cinnamon, cardamom or some chopped nuts or shredded coconut.
Add the blended smoothie to some popsicle molds and freeze for a fun cooling treat.
Blend with more of your favorite fruits like strawberries, mango or fresh peaches.
Adjust the amount of ice and use some frozen bananas or fruits to keep it extra cool and flavorful.
Spice it up by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Make it a delicious adult beverage by adding a shot of vodka, rum or gin.
Blend in some mint for a fresh flavor.
To Make Gluten Free: This recipe is naturally gluten free but make sure you are reading your labels on any spices or extracts to make sure they contain gluten free ingredients.
To Make a Vegan Banana Lassi: To make this recipe vegan, simply replace dairy yogurt with your favorite vegan plant based yogurt.
Storing: Since there is ice in banana lassi it must be consumed shortly after blending to maintain its temperature, texture and taste.
Freezing: You can freeze banana lassi by pouring it into popsicle molds or even an ice cube tray to pop out and blend for later. It will last in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
They absolutely can be! The yogurt gives you a natural bacteria that helps keep your gut healthy and the fruit contains various vitamins and antioxidants.
Lassi drinks are mostly consumed during or after the meal as they are said to help cool you down after eating something spicy or something that makes you hot. This is why they are popular in Indian culture.
You can! But you may need to add more ice as the yogurt helps the lassi thicken.
A lassi is a yogurt-based blended drink that originated in India. Lassi's come in many flavors, such as banana, mango, sweet and salted.
Blended drink recipes
I'm sure you'll love this sweet banana lassi recipe. Be sure to try these other blended drinks, milkshakes and smoothies too!
Get your free Cookbook!
We know time can be tight. Whether you're vegan or just want to add some easy meat-free meals to your meal plan, we've got you covered. Download your free 15 Minute Vegan Dinners e-Cookbook, full of quick, easy and tasty recipes! You’ll also be added to our mailing list to receive new recipes via email as soon as they're published.
- 1 cup 200g plain yogurt
- 1 large ripe banana or 2 small
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth.
- Divide between two glasses and enjoy.
- Serve on its own or over ice.
- Make sure your banana is ripened but not overripe. Overripe bananas may be overly sweet and don’t blend as well. Choose a banana that’s spotted and yellow but not completely brown.
- This smoothie can be served on its own or over a glass of ice. Serve over ice in instances where you’ll be in warmer weather so it stays cool longer.
- The caster sugar will help sweeten the smoothie but it’s completely optional as your bananas may be sweet enough.
- Pulsing your blender first helps the ice break down and makes the rest of the smoothie blend evenly.
- More or less yogurt may be needed depending on how thick you enjoy your banana lassi.
- Add in some vanilla extract for a delightful vanilla flavor throughout.
- Your favorite warming spices can be thrown into the blender such as cinnamon, cardamom and ground clove.
- Add the blended smoothie to some popsicle molds and freeze for a fun cooling treat.
- Blend with more of your favorite fruits like strawberries, mango or fresh peaches.
- Adjust the amount of ice and use some frozen bananas or fruits to keep it extra cool and flavorful.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.