We've gathered the 30 BEST Vegan Curry Recipes right here for you! From classic Indian curries like korma and tikka masala to Thai-inspired curries and everything in between, there's something for everyone. So whether you're a fan of spicy curries or prefer something milder, you're sure to find a recipe that suits your taste buds.
Welcome to our vegan curry recipe roundup!
If you're looking for a delicious and healthy meal option, look no further than curry.
Curry is a flavorful and versatile dish that can be made with a variety of ingredients and spices.
Whether you're a long-time vegan or just looking to try something meat-free, vegan curry recipes are a great way to explore new flavors and experiment with different ingredients.
What is curry?
Curry is more of a cooking style than a dish. Variations of curry are popular in many countries around the world, from India, Japan, and Thailand, to Vietnam, the Caribbean, and Indonesia.
It typically consists of a spiced sauce or gravy, served with a variety of ingredients such as meat, fish, vegetables, or legumes.
The base of curry usually involves a mix of onions, garlic, ginger, and a variety of spices. Some of the most commonly used spices include cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala.
Once the spice base is cooked down, vegetables and legumes are added to the pot.
Some curries feature a thicker sauce while others have a thinner broth-like consistency, and others are more like seasoned rice or have deep-fried proteins.
Ingredients used in curry can vary greatly depending on the country, region, and even community.
What are Vegan Curries?
These dishes do not contain any animal products, such as meat, dairy, or eggs. Instead, vegan curries rely on a combination of spices and plant-based ingredients to create a depth of flavor and texture.
Popular vegetables used in vegan curries include sweet potatoes, cauliflower, spinach, and tomatoes, while common legumes include chickpeas, lentils, and beans.
Coconut milk is a popular ingredient in vegan curry recipes, providing a creamy texture and slightly sweet flavor to balance out the spices.
Other ingredients like lime juice, cilantro, and fresh chili peppers can be used to add additional layers of flavor and freshness to the dish.
You can adapt most curry recipes to be vegan with a few simple swaps. Just swap from meat to vegetables or tofu, dairy cream to coconut milk, and ghee (butter) to oil or vegan butter.
How To Serve Curry
You can enjoy curries as a standalone meal, or you can pair them with rice, quinoa, or naan bread for a more filling dish.
Some Indian curry side dishes and dips:
- Turmeric Rice - a vibrant yellow flavorful rice.
- Pilau Rice - classic Indian rice with gentle spices.
- Coconut Rice - sweet and rich rice.
- Easy Naan Bread Recipe (yeast-free) - 15 minute fresh naan breads. We love these! Just use vegan yogurt.
- Chapati - an Indian flatbread.
- Poppadoms - Crispy chickpea flour crackers.
- Bombay Alloo - Bombay potatoes.
- Baked Spinach Cauliflower Pakoras - Bundles of vegetables.
- Onion Bhaji - Onion and spices in dumplings.
- Mango Chutney - A sweet and spicy dip.
- Raita - yogurt mint and cucumber dip.
Why You Should Make Vegan Curry
Not only are curries super tasty and endlessly versatile, but there are also other great reasons to make more of them:
- Delicious and satisfying: Curry is a flavorful and filling dish that is loved by many people around the world with different seasoning profiles.
- Customizable: You can use a variety of ingredients to customize to your taste preferences, spice levels, or dietary needs.
- Freezer-friendly: They also usually freeze well, so you can make a double batch and freeze some for later. This is perfect for busy weeknights when you don't have time to cook from scratch.
- Cheaper than take-out: You can usually make your own at home for a cheaper price than buying them from takeout curry restaurants.
- Nutritious: They can contain a variety of vegetables and legumes, making them a great source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Budget-friendly: You can make them with affordable ingredients, so they're a great option for those on a budget.
- Eat more legumes: Legumes are nutritious ingredients that you can use to bulk out and add goodness to your dish.
- Meal prep-friendly: you can make it in large batches and reheat it throughout the week. Try serving it a little differently each night with different side dishes.
- Comforting: The warm and spicy flavors make great comfort food.
- Meat Free: you can make them with a variety of plant-based ingredients.
In this roundup, we are sharing some of our favorite vegan curry recipes from around the web.
From classic Indian curries to Thai-inspired curries and everything in between, you'll find something for everyone.
Whether you're a fan of spicy curries or prefer something milder, you'll find a recipe that suits your taste buds. Let's get started!