Breakfast popsicles are a fun way to eat a healthy breakfast in the summer. It’s pretty much porridge ingredients frozen on a stick.
The summer is beginning to draw to a close and it’s nearly time for the kids to go back to school. We’re all getting a bit frazzled but luckily drawing, toy cars and a huge batch of playdough that I made have been filling up our days.
I like to surprise my little ones with unusual breakfasts. This week we’ve had breakfast cookies, spinach pancakes, smoothies and these frozen breakfast popsicles/ice lollies/ice pops. Whatever you want to call them, they’ve packed all the goodness of a porridge breakfast onto a frozen stick.
The kids squealed with delight when I presented them with their breakfast, and I certainly enjoyed mine. We had foraged for blackberries the day before and I whipped these together quickly and in secret. Their faces were filled with smiles as they downed their breakfast that morning. Now if only the weather would warm up again so we can make another batch.
I’ve used blackberries in these, which can be a little bit tart, so feel free to leave them out or substitute for banana slices, strawberries or any other fruit that you have available. You can also substitute the almond milk for plain cow’s milk, but we prefer the taste of almond.
Blackberry, Banana and Oat Breakfast Popsicles (vegan, gluten-free)
- 1 cup (240ml) almond milk
- 1/2 cup (50g) oats (gluten-free if required) + 3 Tbsp for sprinkling
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup optional
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt or dairy free version
- handful of blackberries or other seasonal fruit
- Whiz the almond milk, oats, banana, honey and vanilla in a blender until smooth. Pour into popsicle/ice lolly moulds to fill 1/3.
- Spoon in a small drizzle of yogurt to fill to 2/3, then add a few blackberries and a small sprinkling of oats. Fill to the top with the remaining oat/milk mixture.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight, until solid.
- Run under hot water to release from the moulds and serve for breakfast!